What does a Social Media Analyst do?
Learn all about Social Media Analyst duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Social Media Analyst.
Published 3 min read
A social media analyst is responsible for monitoring and analyzing social media conversations, identifying trends and Sentiment, and providing insights to clients.
Social Media Analyst job duties include:
- Conduct social media audits to ensure best practices are being used
- Create social media strategies to align with business goals
- Set up and optimize company pages within each platform
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action
- Monitor SEO and user engagement and suggest content optimization
- Communicate with followers, respond to queries in a timely manner and monitor customer reviews
- Oversee social media accounts’ design (e.g. Facebook timeline cover, profile pictures and blog layout)
- Suggest and implement new features to develop brand awareness, like promotions and competitions
- Analyze key metrics and tweak strategy as needed
- Stay up-to-date with latest technology/social media trends
Social Media Analyst Job Requirements
A social media analyst is responsible for monitoring and analyzing an organization's social media presence. This includes tracking metrics, identifying trends, and providing insights to help shape strategy. A social media analyst should have a bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related field. Additionally, experience working in social media, marketing, or public relations is helpful. Certification in digital marketing or social media is also beneficial.
Social Media Analyst Skills
- Social media
- Web traffic
- Customer service
- Public relations
- Creative writing
- Graphic design
- Web development
How to become a Social Media Analyst
There are many ways to become a social media analyst. One way is to have a degree in marketing, communications, or business. Another way is to have experience working in social media, either in a corporate setting or as a freelancer. There are also online courses available that can teach you the necessary skills.
The most important thing for becoming a social media analyst is to understand how social media works and how it can be used to achieve business goals. It is also important to be able to analyze data and create reports.
If you are interested in becoming a social media analyst, the first step is to gain experience in the field. This can be done by working in social media in some capacity, whether it is as a corporate social media manager or as a freelance consultant. There are also many online courses available that can teach you the basics of social media and how to use it for business purposes.
Once you have gained some experience, the next step is to start studying for exams such as the Certified Social Media Analyst (CSMA) exam offered by Hootsuite University. This exam will test your knowledge of social media and its use for businesses.
After passing the CSMA exam, you will be well on your way to becoming a social media analyst.
Related: Social Media Analyst Resume Example