What does a Sales Assistant do?
Learn all about Sales Assistant duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Sales Assistant.
Published 4 min read
A sales assistant helps customers find the products they want and processes their payments. They may also help with stocking shelves and setting up displays.
Sales Assistant job duties include:
- Greeting customers and ascertaining what each customer wants or needs
- Answering questions about products or the store
- Calling out prices of products for the benefit of customers who are too far away to hear clearly
- Helping customers try on or fit merchandise
- Arranging items in an attractive manner
- Handling customer complaints in a professional and courteous manner
- Keeping the sales floor clean and organized
- Restocking shelves as needed
- Assisting with sales and promotions
- Completing sales transactions and handling payments
Sales Assistant Job Requirements
A Sales Assistant typically needs a high school diploma, although some jobs may require postsecondary education, and most employers provide on-the-job training. Certification is not typically required, but may be helpful. Previous experience in customer service or sales is often required.
Sales Assistant Skills
- Active listening
- Closing skills
- Public speaking
How to become a Sales Assistant
Sales assistants are the backbone of any retail operation. They are responsible for providing excellent customer service, maintaining store displays, and keeping the sales floor clean and organized. As a sales assistant, you will be expected to know your product inside and out, as well as have a strong understanding of the store’s policies and procedures. If you are interested in becoming a sales assistant, here are a few tips to help you get started.
1. Get to know your products. As a sales assistant, you will be responsible for helping customers find the products they need and providing information about those products. It is important that you have a strong understanding of the products you are selling so that you can answer questions and provide helpful suggestions. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the products in your store so that you can be confident when assisting customers.
2. Develop excellent customer service skills. Sales assistants need to have outstanding customer service skills in order to be successful in their role. You should be friendly and approachable, patient when dealing with customers, and efficient in your transactions. Remember that the customer is always right, even if they are not always easy to deal with. Practice your customer service skills often so that they become second nature to you.
3. Stay organized and keep the sales floor clean. A big part of being a successful sales assistant is keeping the store organized and tidy. This means straightening up displays, keeping the sales floor free of clutter, and generally keeping things in order. Customers should be able to easily find what they are looking for, so it is important that you keep the store well-organized at all times.
4. Be flexible and adaptable. Sales assistants need to be able to adapt to changes on the fly. Whether it is a last-minute change in plans or dealing with an irate customer, you need to be able to remain calm and collected under pressure. Being flexible will also help you succeed during busy times when things are constantly changing around you.
5. Follow store policies and procedures. Every retail store has its own policies and procedures that employees must follow. As a sales assistant, it is important that you understand these policies and follow them at all times. This includes things like knowing how to handle returns or exchanges, being aware of store hours, and understanding payment methods accepted by the store. Following store policies shows that you are professional and reliable, two qualities that are essential for success in this role
Related: Sales Assistant Resume Example