In House Counsel
Writing a great in house counsel resume is important because it is one of the first things a potential employer will see when they are considering you for a position. It is your opportunity to make a good first impression and sell yourself as the best candidate for the job.
Create your resume
Select from 7 professional resume templates
If you're looking for inspiration when it comes to drafting your own in house counsel resume, look no further than the samples below. These resumes will help you highlight your experience and qualifications in the most effective way possible, giving you the best chance of landing the in house counsel job you're after.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (197) 497-8287 | Billings, MT
I am an in-house counsel with over 8 years of experience providing legal advice and guidance to clients in a variety of industries. I have a strong background in contract review and negotiation, corporate law, intellectual property, and litigation. I have represented clients in arbitration proceedings and have successfully negotiated settlements on their behalf. I have a proven ability to provide sound legal advice and cost-effective solutions to complex issues. My extensive experience in corporate law has enabled me to develop an in-depth understanding of corporate governance and compliance matters. I am committed to helping my clients achieve their goals and objectives in a timely and efficient manner.
In House Counsel at Walmart, MTMar 2022 - Present
- Successfully negotiated and drafted 10+ complex commercial contracts with high-value clients, resulting in increased revenue for the company by $2M.
- Conducted extensive legal research on various topics such as copyright law, trademark protection, and patent infringement cases; provided insightful analysis and recommendations to management that saved the company an estimated $50K in potential litigation costs.
- Successfully represented the company in 3 court hearings against competitors who were infringing on our patents; obtained favorable outcomes in all 3 cases.
- Drafted new policies and procedures related to employee data privacy compliance which resulted in no penalties or fines from regulatory authorities.
- Created a training program for managers on employment law best practices which has been credited with reducing workplace disputes by 30%.
- Assisted senior leadership team with developing strategy for responding to government investigations; helped resolve 2 separate investigations without any financial penalty or adverse publicity.
Senior In House Counsel at Amazon, MTJul 2020 - Jan 2022
- Led a team of 4 lawyers in providing legal support to the organization’s operations in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific.
- Negotiated and drafted commercial contracts worth over $1 billion for the sale of goods and services.
- Advised senior management on compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including anti-corruption laws.
- Investigated potential breaches of contract by suppliers and recommended appropriate course of action.
Lead In House Counsel at General Electric, MTSep 2015 - Jun 2020
- Successfully negotiated and drafted over 50 contracts per year with clients, vendors, and service providers.
- Advised senior leadership on a variety of legal matters including risk management, corporate governance, compliance issues, and litigation avoidance strategy.
- Served as the primary liaison between the company and outside counsel for all litigation matters. Managed cases from pre-suit investigation through trial/appeal.
- Successfully managed multiple complex projects simultaneously while consistently meeting deadlines set by clients or superiors.
- Drafted policies and procedures related to regulatory compliance which were adopted company-wide.
Juris Doctor at University of MontanaSep 2011 - May 2015
I have learned to think critically and analytically, to research effectively, to communicate clearly and persuasively, and to work collaboratively.
- Legal research
- Drafting legal documents
- Negotiating settlements
- Courtroom experience
- Legal writing
- Client communication
email@example.com | (544) 038-6937 | 5555 Broad St, Chattanooga, TN 37402
I am a conscientious and dedicated in-house counsel with 8+ years of experience in providing legal advice and counsel to a variety of organizations. I have had the privilege of representing clients in a wide range of industries, including banking and finance, healthcare, real estate, and retail. My areas of expertise include contract negotiation, dispute resolution, corporate compliance, and regulatory compliance. I have a proven track record of successfully managing legal issues, providing sound legal advice, and delivering cost-effective solutions. I have a strong background in corporate law, and I have drafted, reviewed, and negotiated a variety of complex contracts and agreements. In addition, I have extensive experience in dispute resolution, including providing litigation support and managing mediations. I have a passion for legal research and analysis, and I am skilled in interpreting laws and regulations to ensure compliance. I also have experience in managing and training teams of corporate attorneys and paralegals. My strong communication and interpersonal skills have enabled me to build and maintain successful working relationships.
In House Counsel at FedEx Corporation, TNJun 2022 - Present
- Negotiated and drafted a settlement agreement for client, resolving outstanding litigation claims in the amount of $2.5 million.
- Reviewed, negotiated, and revised commercial contracts on behalf of company valued at over $100 million annually.
- Led an internal investigation into allegations of misconduct by senior executives, resulting in the termination of three employees and implementation of new compliance policies.
- Defended company against class action lawsuit alleging false advertising claims, successfully defeating plaintiff’s motion for class certification.
- Presented to board of directors on updates to applicable laws and regulations affecting the company’s business operations.
Senior In House Counsel at Nissan North America, Inc., TNJul 2018 - May 2022
- Negotiated and drafted a complex commercial lease for new office space, which resulted in $30,000 in savings over the life of the lease.
- Reviewed and revised company policies and procedures related to compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), resulting in no findings during annual audit.
- Led team of attorneys in conducting due diligence on potential acquisition target, which led to successful purchase of company at below market value.
- Defended company against patent infringement claim brought by competitor, ultimately leading to dismissal of all claims without any payment made by client.
Lead In House Counsel at International Paper Company, TNJul 2015 - May 2018
- Negotiated and drafted dozens of complex contracts on behalf of the company, saving the company an estimated $100,000 per year in legal fees.
- Managed a team of 3 junior attorneys and 2 paralegals, overseeing all aspects of contract review, drafting, and negotiation.
- Successfully handled over 100 cases involving intellectual property infringement claims against the company, resulting in zero losses for the client.
- Wrote and implemented new policies and procedures related to data privacy compliance that reduced potential liability exposure by 50%.
- Led training sessions for employees on various topics such as anti-corruption law compliance.
Juris Doctor at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TNAug 2010 - May 2015
I have learned to read and analyze complex legal documents, to research legal issues, and to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Legal research
- Writing legal briefs
- Motions practice
- Depositions practice
- Court appearances
- Legal negotiations
- Client counseling