What does an Inside Sales Engineer do?
Learn all about Inside Sales Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Inside Sales Engineer.
Published 4 min read
An inside sales engineer is responsible for providing technical support and guidance to customers who are considering or have purchased a company's products. They work closely with the outside sales team to ensure that customers are getting the most out of the products they have purchased. In addition, inside sales engineers often work with product development teams to provide feedback on how products are being used by customers and what improvements could be made.
Inside Sales Engineer job duties include:
- Research and develop new sales opportunities within assigned territory
- Actively seek out and engage potential customers through various means including but not limited to cold-calling, emailing, and attending industry events
- Understand customer needs and requirements and match them with the appropriate products/services
- Serve as the primary point of contact for assigned customers and manage all aspects of the sales process from start to finish
- Generate quotes and proposals for potential customers
- Negotiate pricing and terms with customers
- Close sales deals and achieve assigned targets
- Maintain accurate records of all sales activities in CRM system
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and developments
Inside Sales Engineer Job Requirements
An inside sales engineer is responsible for providing technical support and guidance to customers who are using a company's products or services. They must have a strong understanding of the products and services, as well as the ability to troubleshoot any problems that may arise. In terms of education, most inside sales engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Certification is not typically required, but many companies prefer candidates who have earned one or more professional certifications. In terms of experience, most inside sales engineers have at least two years of experience working in customer service or a related field.
Inside Sales Engineer Skills
- Lead generation
- Qualifying leads
- Closing deals
- Building relationships
- Product knowledge
- Technical skills
- Solution selling
- Value selling
- Competitive analysis
- Objection handling
How to become an Inside Sales Engineer
Sales engineers are the link between a company’s engineering and sales teams. They work with customers to understand their technical needs and then develop solutions that meet those needs. To become a sales engineer, you will need to have strong communication and problem-solving skills. You will also need to be familiar with the products and services that your company offers.
If you are interested in becoming a sales engineer, start by shadowing or working with a sales engineer at your company. This will give you a better understanding of the role and what it entails. You can also look for internships or entry-level jobs in sales engineering. Once you have some experience, you can begin to specialize in specific areas, such as healthcare or enterprise software.
To be successful as a sales engineer, you must be able to build relationships with customers and understand their needs. You must also be able to translate technical jargon into layman’s terms. Additionally, you must be able to find creative solutions to problems and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Related: Inside Sales Engineer Resume Example