What does an Account Executive do?
Learn all about Account Executive duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Account Executive.
Published 3 min read
An account executive is responsible for managing client accounts and developing strong relationships with clients. They work closely with other members of the account team to ensure that client needs are met. They also develop strategies for new business opportunities.
Account Executive job duties include:
- Meeting with clients to discuss their advertising needs
- Researching and planning advertising campaigns
- Negotiating with clients and managing client relationships
- Working with creative teams to develop advertising materials
- Developing budgets and timelines for campaigns
- Monitoring campaign progress and making adjustments as needed
- Analyzing campaign results and presenting findings to clients
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and news
- Attend industry events and networking functions
Account Executive Job Requirements
An account executive is responsible for managing client accounts and developing new business. They work closely with other members of the account team to deliver high-quality work and meet deadlines. To be an account executive, you need a bachelor's degree in marketing, advertising, business, or a related field. You also need experience working in an advertising agency or with a marketing firm. Certification from the American Marketing Association (AMA) is preferred.
Account Executive Skills
- Lead generation
- Client acquisition
- Client retention
- Account management
- Sales pipeline management
- CRM utilization
- Salesforce.com proficiency
- Marketing campaign execution
- Event planning and coordination
- Project management
How to become an Account Executive
The account executive is the link between the advertising agency and the client. The account exec is responsible for the day-to-day running of the account, making sure that the agency meets the client’s needs and that the work is on brief and on budget.
To become an account executive, you will need to have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You will need to be able to think on your feet and be able to solve problems quickly. It is also important that you are organized and can keep track of multiple projects at once.
If you have a degree in marketing or advertising, that will be helpful, but it is not essential. Many account executives come from a background in sales or customer service.
The best way to learn about the job of an account executive is to shadow someone who is already in the role. This will give you an insight into the day-to-day running of an advertising agency and how to manage client relationships. Alternatively, you could look for an internship at an advertising agency.
Related: Account Executive Resume Example