What does a Hotel Manager do?
Learn all about Hotel Manager duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Hotel Manager.
Published 4 min read
A hotel manager is responsible for the overall operation of a hotel. They ensure that the property is well-maintained, guests are satisfied, and that the staff is properly trained. They also develop marketing strategies to increase occupancy and revenue.
Hotel Manager job duties include:
- Overseeing all hotel operations
- Developing and implementing hotel policies and procedures
- Ensuring compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations
- Hiring, training, and supervising hotel staff
- Creating work schedules for hotel staff
- Monitoring guest satisfaction levels and taking corrective action as necessary
- Resolving guest complaints in a prompt and professional manner
- Coordinating hotel activities and events
- Preparing annual operating budgets
- Monitoring hotel revenues and expenses
Hotel Manager Job Requirements
A hotel manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a hotel. They ensure that the hotel runs smoothly and efficiently while providing excellent customer service. A hotel manager typically has a degree in hospitality management or business administration. Some hotel managers may also have certification from the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Hotel managers typically have several years of experience working in the hospitality industry in various roles before being promoted to manager.
Hotel Manager Skills
- Customer service
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Stress management
- Time management
How to become a Hotel Manager
A hotel manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a hotel. They ensure that the hotel runs smoothly and efficiently, while providing excellent customer service. If you are interested in becoming a hotel manager, here are a few steps to follow:
1. Get a degree in hospitality management. A degree in hospitality management will give you the skills and knowledge you need to be a successful hotel manager. There are many accredited programs available, both online and offline.
2. Gain experience working in the hotel industry. It is important to have experience working in the hotel industry before becoming a manager. This will give you an understanding of the day-to-day operations of a hotel and what it takes to run one successfully. You can gain experience by working as a front desk clerk, housekeeper, or any other position within a hotel.
3. Apply for management positions at hotels. Once you have experience working in the hotel industry and a degree in hospitality management, you can start applying for management positions at hotels. Many hotels require candidates to have at least 2 years of experience working in the hotel industry before considering them for a management position.
4. Complete any required training programs. Some hotels may require you to complete training programs before you can begin working as a manager. These programs will teach you specific skills and knowledge that you need to be successful in your role as a manager.
5. Be prepared to work long hours. Hotel managers often work long hours, including nights and weekends. This is necessary to ensure that the hotel is running smoothly and efficiently at all times.
Related: Hotel Manager Resume Example