What does a Hotel General Manager do?
Learn all about Hotel General Manager duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Hotel General Manager.
Published 4 min read
A hotel general manager is responsible for the overall operation of a hotel. This includes supervising staff, managing finances, and ensuring that guests have a positive experience. The general manager may also be involved in marketing and sales efforts to increase occupancy and revenue.
Hotel General Manager job duties include:
- Plan, direct, and coordinate the operations of the hotel
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the hotel
- Select, train, and supervise hotel staff
- Plan and prepare work schedules and assignments for hotel staff
- Inspect guest rooms, public areas, and hotel property regularly
- Investigate complaints lodged by guests and take appropriate action
- Coordinate hotel activities with other establishments
- Prepare reports on the performance of the hotel
- Ensure that the hotel complies with all local, state, and federal laws
Hotel General Manager Job Requirements
A hotel general manager is responsible for the overall operation of a hotel. They must have a high school diploma or equivalent, and many hotels require a bachelor's degree in hospitality management. Hotel general managers must also have several years of experience in the hotel industry, as well as experience managing a team of employees. Some hotels may also require certification from the American Hotel & Lodging Association.
Hotel General Manager Skills
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Time management
- Customer service
How to become a Hotel General Manager
A hotel general manager is responsible for the overall operation of a hotel. They ensure that the hotel is providing excellent guest service, while also maintaining profitability. If you are interested in becoming a hotel general manager, here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Get a degree in hospitality management. A degree from an accredited hospitality management program will give you the necessary skills and knowledge to be successful in this field.
2. Start working in the hospitality industry. Many general managers start their careers working in entry-level positions at hotels. This experience will be invaluable as you move up the ladder.
3. Develop your leadership skills. As a general manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of employees. hone your leadership skills by taking on additional responsibilities at work, or through volunteering or other community involvement opportunities.
4. Build relationships with industry professionals. Networking is key in any industry, but it is especially important in hospitality. Get to know other hoteliers and industry professionals, as they can provide valuable insights and connections that can help you in your career.
5. Stay up to date on industry trends. The hospitality industry is constantly changing, so it is important to stay abreast of current trends. Read trade publications, attend industry events, and talk to other professionals to make sure you are up-to-date on what’s happening in the industry.
By following these tips, you can begin your journey to becoming a successful hotel general manager!
Related: Hotel General Manager Resume Example