What does a Business Analyst do?
Learn all about Business Analyst duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Business Analyst.
Published 3 min read
A business analyst is a professional who performs various tasks to help businesses improve their operations. They may work in areas such as finance, marketing, human resources, and information technology. Business analysts typically have a background in business or a related field, and they use their skills to identify problems and recommend solutions.
Business Analyst job duties include:
- Defining business requirements and translating them into technical requirements
- Conducting business analysis to identify opportunities for improvement and recommending solutions
- Identifying and documenting business processes
- Facilitating requirement gathering sessions with stakeholders
- Creating process flow diagrams and other process documentation
- Conducting gap analysis to compare current state with desired future state
- Supporting the development and implementation of new business solutions
- Providing training to end users on new business processes and systems
- Monitoring and reporting on project progress and milestones
Business Analyst Job Requirements
A business analyst is responsible for improving organizational efficiency by conducting business analysis to identify opportunities for process improvement. They work with stakeholders to understand and document business requirements, and then develop solutions that improve business processes. The ideal candidate for this position will have a bachelor's degree in business administration or a related field, and experience working in a business analyst role. Certification in business analysis from a recognized organization is also preferred.
Business Analyst Skills
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Time management
How to become a Business Analyst
A business analyst is someone who analyzes an organization or business domain and documents its business or processes or systems, assessing the business model or its integration with technology.
There are many paths that one can take to become a business analyst. One can start out as a software developer, quality assurance engineer, project manager, product manager, or even a business analyst. However, most people who become business analysts have a background in either business or technology.
If you want to become a business analyst, it is important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You should be able to understand complex systems and processes and be able to communicate your findings to others in a clear and concise manner. It is also important to be able to work well in team environments and have strong interpersonal skills.
There are many resources available to help you learn more about becoming a business analyst. The International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) offers certification for those who want to pursue a career in this field. There are also many books and online resources that can help you learn more about the role of a business analyst and how to be successful in this career.
Related: Business Analyst Resume Example