What does a Business Account Manager do?
Learn all about Business Account Manager duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Business Account Manager.
Published 3 min read
A business account manager is responsible for the overall management of a company's accounts. This includes overseeing the financial health of the company, as well as developing and implementing strategies to grow the business. The account manager also works closely with other departments within the company to ensure that all account-related activities are coordinated and aligned with the company's overall objectives.
Business Account Manager job duties include:
- Act as the primary point of contact for assigned business accounts
- Build and maintain strong, long-lasting customer relationships
- Understand customer needs and requirements
- Respond to customer inquiries and complaints in a timely and professional manner
- Resolve customer issues and escalate to appropriate parties when necessary
- Develop deep understanding of company products and services
- Keep abreast of industry trends and developments
- Prepare reports on account activity and performance
- Assist with the development and implementation of marketing plans
- Attend trade shows, conferences, and other events on behalf of the company
Business Account Manager Job Requirements
A Business Account Manager typically needs at least a bachelor's degree in business, although a master's degree may be preferred by some employers. Many Business Account Managers also have certification from the Institute of Certified Professional Managers. Experience is also important for this position, and many Business Account Managers have several years of experience working in management before being promoted to this position.
Business Account Manager Skills
- Business acumen
- Communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Relationship management
- Organizational skills
- Time management
- Strategic thinking
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Critical thinking
- Presentation skills
How to become a Business Account Manager
The Business Account Manager is responsible for the sale and service of commercial deposit and loan products to business customers. They develop new business relationships, maintain and expand existing customer relationships, and contribute to the overall growth and profitability of the bank.
To become a Business Account Manager, you will need at least a bachelor’s degree in business or a related field. However, many employers prefer candidates with a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) or a related field. You will also need several years of experience working in commercial banking or in a similar role.
The best way to prepare for this career is to get experience working in commercial banking or in a related field. You can also improve your chances of success by completing an MBA or other graduate-level program. In addition, it is important to develop strong interpersonal and communication skills, as well as analytical and problem-solving skills.