What does a Business Development Manager do?
Learn all about Business Development Manager duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Business Development Manager.
Published 3 min read
A business development manager is responsible for the growth and expansion of a company. They work with clients and partners to identify new business opportunities, develop marketing plans, and negotiate contracts. They also build relationships with potential customers and partners, and keep up-to-date on industry trends.
Business Development Manager job duties include:
- Research and identify new business opportunities, including new markets, products, and services
- Develop strategies to penetrate new markets and grow existing markets
- Plan and execute business development initiatives to drive sales growth
- Develop relationships with key decision-makers in target accounts
- Understand customer needs and requirements and develop solutions that address them
- Prepare proposals and presentations to win new business
- Negotiate contracts and close deals
- Monitor market trends and competitor activity
- Keep abreast of industry developments and best practices
- Contribute to the development of the company’s business development strategy
Business Development Manager Job Requirements
A Business Development Manager is responsible for developing and implementing growth opportunities for a company. They must have a bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or a related field, and experience working in business development, sales, or a related field. They must be able to identify and assess new business opportunities, develop strategies to pursue those opportunities, and build and maintain relationships with customers, partners, and other stakeholders. They must also be able to effectively communicate the value of their company's products or services to potential customers.
Business Development Manager Skills
- Lead Generation
- Cold Calling
- Market Research
- Territory Management
- Account Management
- Client Relationships
- Solution Selling
- Consultative Selling
- Value Propositions
How to become a Business Development Manager
A Business Development Manager is responsible for developing and implementing growth opportunities for their company. They work with internal and external partners to identify and assess new business opportunities, negotiate and close deals, and manage relationships with key clients. To become a Business Development Manager, you will need to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as experience in sales, marketing, and business development. You will also need to be an excellent communicator and have the ability to build relationships with key stakeholders.