What does an IC Design Engineer do?
Learn all about IC Design Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an IC Design Engineer.
Published 3 min read
An IC design engineer is responsible for the design and development of integrated circuits (ICs). They work with other engineers and technicians to create new ICs, as well as improve existing ones. They also test and verify the functionality of their designs.
IC Design Engineer job duties include:
- Develops and tests integrated circuits (ICs) used in electronic equipment.
- Investigates feasibility of designing ICs to meet customer requirements.
- Develops IC layout, using computer-assisted design tools.
- Designs testing methods and equipment for new ICs.
- Evaluates IC design to ensure compliance with specifications and industry standards.
- Generates documentation for fabrication and assembly of ICs.
- Oversees production of prototypes and first production run of new IC designs.
- Analyzes performance of ICs and recommends improvements.
- Keeps abreast of new technology developments in the field of integrated circuit design.
IC Design Engineer Job Requirements
An IC design engineer typically has a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or a related field. They may also have a master's degree or PhD. In addition, they must have experience working with integrated circuits and be familiar with CAD software. They may also be required to have a professional license.
IC Design Engineer Skills
- Experience in IC design and layout
- Strong understanding of CMOS process technology
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Good communication and team work skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Good time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Creative thinking
How to become an IC Design Engineer
In order to become an IC design engineer, one must first earn a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or a related field. Many IC design engineers also have a master’s degree or doctorate. After completing an accredited program, engineers must then pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. The next step is to gain several years of experience working as an engineer in the field of IC design. Some engineers may choose to specialize in a certain area of IC design, such as power management or signal processing.
IC design engineers use their knowledge of physics and mathematics to design integrated circuits (ICs). They must be able to understand and solve complex problems and have strong analytical and critical thinking skills. In addition, they must be able to use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create models and simulations of their designs.
The job outlook for IC design engineers is good. Employment is expected to grow at a rate of 9 percent from 2016 to 2026, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. The demand for ICs is expected to increase as more companies continue to develop new products that require them.
Related: IC Design Engineer Resume Example