What does a Mechanical Design Engineer do?
Learn all about Mechanical Design Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Mechanical Design Engineer.
Published 3 min read
A mechanical design engineer is responsible for the design, development, and testing of mechanical devices and systems. They may work on a variety of products, such as automobiles, aircraft, heating and cooling systems, medical devices, and more. In their work, they may use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create models and prototypes of their designs.
Mechanical Design Engineer job duties include:
- Research, design, develop, and test mechanical and thermal sensors and devices
- Design and analyze computer models to predict how mechanical and thermal devices will perform
- Develop prototypes of new or improved mechanical and thermal devices and systems
- Plan and oversee the manufacture of new or improved mechanical and thermal devices and systems
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Assist in the development of maintenance plans for existing mechanical and thermal devices and systems
- Prepare technical reports documenting research findings, design specifications, or test results
- Present findings or recommendations to managers, clients, or other engineers
- Stay up-to-date on advances in technology that could improve the performance of mechanical and thermal devices
Mechanical Design Engineer Job Requirements
A Mechanical Design Engineer typically needs a Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, although some jobs may require a Master's degree or higher. In addition, many employers prefer to hire candidates who are certified by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Finally, most employers prefer candidates who have several years of experience working as a mechanical engineer.
Mechanical Design Engineer Skills
- 3D CAD
How to become a Mechanical Design Engineer
There are many paths that one can take to become a mechanical design engineer. The most common path is to obtain a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited university. Once you have obtained your degree, you will need to obtain a job with a company that designs and manufactures mechanical products. You will then need to gain experience in the design and development of these products. After you have gained enough experience, you can then apply for a position as a mechanical design engineer.