What does a Strategic Account Manager do?
Learn all about Strategic Account Manager duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Strategic Account Manager.
Published 3 min read
A strategic account manager is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key accounts. They work closely with clients to understand their needs and objectives, and develop strategies to help them achieve their goals. They also work with other members of the account team to ensure that all deliverables are met.
Strategic Account Manager job duties include:
- Managing and developing relationships with key accounts
- Identifying new business opportunities within key accounts
- Developing account plans and strategies
- Negotiating and closing contracts
- Managing projects and ensuring delivery against agreed targets
- Providing account management reports
- Analysing customer data and trends
- Liaising with internal departments to ensure excellent service delivery
- Attending industry events and networking with potential and existing customers
- Monitoring competitor activity
Strategic Account Manager Job Requirements
A bachelor's degree is typically required for a strategic account manager position, and some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree. Certification is not typically required, but it may be helpful in advancing one's career. Strategic account managers should have several years of experience working in sales, marketing, or a related field. They should be able to develop relationships with clients, understand their needs, and create strategies to meet those needs.
Strategic Account Manager Skills
- Strategic thinking
- Business acumen
- Relationship building
- Problem solving
- Organizational skills
- Time management
- Project management
How to become a Strategic Account Manager
A Strategic Account Manager is a key player in any organization. They are responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key accounts, managing account portfolios, and ensuring customer satisfaction. In order to become a Strategic Account Manager, one must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. They must be able to think strategically and be able to work independently. They must also be able to work effectively under pressure and have a high level of self-motivation.