What does a Stockroom Associate do?
Learn all about Stockroom Associate duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Stockroom Associate.
Published 3 min read
A stockroom associate is responsible for organizing and keeping track of inventory in a store's stockroom. This may include receiving shipments, stocking shelves, and taking inventory.
Stockroom Associate job duties include:
- Receives, unpacks, and stores incoming merchandise
- Inspects merchandise for damage or defects and reports any issues to supervisors
- Keeps track of inventory levels and notifies supervisors of low stock levels
- Restocks shelves as needed
- Answers customer questions about products and assists with product selection
- Bags or boxes merchandise for customers
- May operate a cash register to process sales
- Cleans up the stockroom and keeps it organized
- Follows all company safety policies and procedures
Stockroom Associate Job Requirements
Most stockroom associates have a high school diploma or equivalent. Some jobs may require certification in forklift operation or other warehouse equipment. Many stockroom associate positions are entry-level and do not require prior experience.
Stockroom Associate Skills
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Physical fitness
- Stocking shelves
- Customer service
How to become a Stockroom Associate
A stockroom associate is responsible for maintaining the inventory of a company. They must be able to accurately count and track products, as well as keep the stockroom organized. Stockroom associates must be able to lift heavy boxes and be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
To become a stockroom associate, one should have a high school diploma or equivalent. Some companies may prefer candidates with previous experience working in a warehouse or stockroom. Candidates should be able to pass a background check and drug test.
Once hired, stockroom associates will undergo on-the-job training. They will learn how to use the inventory management system and will be taught safety procedures. After completing training, stockroom associates will work under the supervision of a lead stockroom associate or manager.
Related: Stockroom Associate Resume Example