What does a Service Writer do?
Learn all about Service Writer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Service Writer.
Published 3 min read
A service writer is responsible for communicating with customers about their vehicle needs and coordinating with the service department to ensure that the repairs are completed in a timely manner. They also work with the parts department to order any necessary parts and keep track of the status of the repairs.
Service Writer job duties include:
- Greet customers and listen to their concerns in order to determine the best course of action.
- Schedule appointments and coordinate with other technicians to ensure timely service.
- Keep customers updated on the status of their vehicle and repair progress.
- Write up repair orders and clearly communicate the nature of the repairs needed.
- Advise customers on preventative maintenance and necessary repairs.
- Obtain authorization for repairs from customers and process payments.
- Follow up with customers after repairs are completed to ensure satisfaction.
- Maintain cleanliness in the work area and keep organized records of customer vehicles.
- Handle customer complaints in a professional manner and escalate as necessary.
Service Writer Job Requirements
Service writers are responsible for creating and maintaining service documentation for a company. They work with engineers and product managers to create documentation that meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Service writers must have excellent writing and communication skills, as well as a strong technical background. In most cases, a bachelor's degree in English, journalism, or technical communication is required. Some companies may also require certification from the Society for Technical Communication (STC).
Service Writer Skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Time management
- Customer service
- Computer skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Research skills
- Detail oriented
How to become a Service Writer
A Service Writer is responsible for maintaining records of car services and repairs. They work in auto and truck dealerships and service stations. Service Writers also schedule appointments for customers who need repairs or maintenance work done on their vehicles.
To become a Service Writer, you will need a high school diploma or equivalent. Many employers prefer candidates who have some experience working in the automotive industry. You will also need to be able to use a computer to enter data and schedule appointments.
excellent customer service skills are essential for this position, as you will be dealing with customers on a daily basis. You should be able to handle customer complaints and questions in a professional manner. Being able to multitask and stay organized is also important, as you will need to keep track of many different customers and their vehicles.
Related: Service Writer Resume Example