What does a Product Consultant do?
Learn all about Product Consultant duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Product Consultant.
Published 4 min read
A product consultant provides expert advice on a particular product or range of products. They work with companies to ensure that their products are fit for purpose and meet customer needs. They may also be involved in developing new products and evaluating existing ones.
Product Consultant job duties include:
- Act as the primary point of contact for assigned clients, providing them with expert guidance on how to use the company’s products
- Understand the needs of clients and develop customized solutions that address those needs
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the company’s products, keeping up to date on new features and functionality
- Train clients on how to use the company’s products, either in person or via webinar
- Write user manuals, how-to guides, and other documentation as needed
- Provide feedback to product development teams on ways to improve the products based on customer usage and feedback
- Analyze data to identify trends and make recommendations to clients on how they can improve their product usage
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and developments to better advise clients
- Attend trade shows and other events on behalf of the company
Product Consultant Job Requirements
A Product Consultant is responsible for providing expert guidance on products and services to customers. They must have extensive knowledge of the products they are consulting on, as well as the ability to understand customer needs and provide solutions. A Product Consultant typically has a bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or a related field, and many also have certification from the Product Management Institute (PMI). Several years of experience working in product management or consulting are also generally required.
Product Consultant Skills
- Product knowledge
- Industry knowledge
- Consulting skills
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical skills
- Strategic thinking
- Project management
- People management
- Marketing skills
- Sales skills
How to become a Product Consultant
A product consultant is a professional who helps companies to improve their products and services. They work with clients to understand their needs and requirements, and then provide advice on how to improve the product or service to meet those needs. Product consultants typically have a background in marketing, product development, or management.
If you’re interested in becoming a product consultant, here are a few tips to get started:
1. Develop a strong understanding of the product development process. This will involve learning about market research, product design, and manufacturing processes.
2. Gain experience working with products. This could be through internships, part-time jobs, or even volunteering.
3. Build up your network of contacts within the industry. This will give you access to potential clients and help you to keep up-to-date with industry trends.
4. Keep your skills up-to-date by attending workshops, conferences, and taking courses. This will make you more attractive to potential clients and help you stay ahead of the competition.
5. Market yourself effectively by creating a strong online presence and networking at industry events.
Related: Product Consultant Resume Example