What does a Functional Consultant do?
Learn all about Functional Consultant duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Functional Consultant.
Published 3 min read
A functional consultant is a business analyst who specializes in a particular software application or business function. They are responsible for understanding the needs of the business and mapping those needs to the features of the software. They may also be involved in training users on the software and providing support during implementation and rollout.
Functional Consultant job duties include:
- Understanding the client's business requirements and mapping them to the software functionality
- Conducting requirement gathering workshops with clients
- Documenting the business requirements and functional specifications
- Configuring the software to meet the client's specific needs
- Testing the software to ensure it meets the required functionality
- Training clients on how to use the software
- Providing support to clients during the implementation phase
- Working with other consultants on large projects to ensure successful delivery
- Managing own time and workload to meet deadlines and deliverables
Functional Consultant Job Requirements
A functional consultant is a business analyst who specializes in a particular software application or suite of applications. They are responsible for understanding the needs of the business and mapping those needs to the features and functionality of the software. Functional consultants typically have a background in business or information technology, and many have experience working with the software they consult on. Some employers may require certification in the software, while others may provide training.
Functional Consultant Skills
- Business Analysis
- Requirements Gathering
- Process Improvement
- Change Management
- Project Management
- Functional Design
- System Configuration
How to become a Functional Consultant
There are many different types of consultants, but functional consultants are some of the most important in businesses today. A functional consultant is responsible for analyzing a company’s needs and then designing and implementing solutions that will improve efficiency and productivity. In order to become a functional consultant, you will need to have a strong understanding of business processes and how they can be improved. You will also need to be an excellent communicator, as you will be working with clients to understand their specific needs and requirements. If you have these skills and qualities, then a career as a functional consultant could be perfect for you.
Related: Functional Consultant Resume Example