What does a Foster Care Case Manager do?
Learn all about Foster Care Case Manager duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Foster Care Case Manager.
Published 3 min read
A foster care case manager is a professional who works with families and children in the foster care system. They provide support and resources to families, connect them with services, and advocate for the best interests of the children in their care.
Foster Care Case Manager job duties include:
- Conduct initial assessment of potential foster care placement
- Coordinate with various agencies to ensure all required documentation is completed for foster care placement
- Monitor and document progress of children in foster care
- Provide support and guidance to foster parents
- Ensure that all necessary medical and psychological evaluations are conducted on children in foster care
- Work with birth parents to develop plans for reunification
- Prepare children for court appearances and testify on their behalf as necessary
- Find permanent homes for children who cannot be reunited with their birth families
- Maintain detailed records of all foster care placements
Foster Care Case Manager Job Requirements
A bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, sociology, or a related field is required for most positions as a foster care case manager. Certification in child welfare or a related field may be required by some employers. Previous experience working with children in a social service capacity is generally required.
Foster Care Case Manager Skills
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making
- Stress Management
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
How to become a Foster Care Case Manager
Foster care case managers are responsible for the well-being of foster children. They work with families, social workers, and other professionals to ensure that foster children receive the best possible care. They also advocate for the rights of foster children and work to ensure that their needs are met.
To become a foster care case manager, you will need a bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field. You will also need to have experience working with children and families. Once you have these qualifications, you can apply for a job with a foster care agency.