What does a Draftsman do?
Learn all about Draftsman duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Draftsman.
Published 3 min read
A draftsman is someone who creates drawings or plans of buildings or other structures.
Draftsman job duties include:
- Prepare detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect.
- Revise drawings and plans to accommodate changes in design, as requested by architect.
- Coordinate work with that of engineers, surveyors, and other professionals engaged in project.
- Meet with client to discuss the objectives, requirements, and budget of a project.
- Select drawing instruments and plan format appropriate for requirement of drawing.
- Sketch preliminary design ideas based on input from client or architect.
- Estimate material requirements and costs, and present design to client for approval.
- Draw sketches or use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create illustrations, diagrams, blueprints, floor plans, topographical maps, or cross sections used in construction projects.
- Prepare multiple versions of designs for review by architect or client.
Draftsman Job Requirements
Most employers require that draftsmen have at least an associate's degree in drafting or a related field. Many technical schools, community colleges, and some four-year colleges offer programs in drafting. Some companies may require certification from the American Design Drafting Association. In addition to formal education, draftsmen need to have strong computer skills and be proficient in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Experience is also important, as many jobs are completed through on-the-job training.
- Technical drawing
- Detail oriented
- Able to work independently
How to become a Draftsman
There are many ways to become a draftsman. One way is to get a degree in engineering or architecture from a college or university. Another way is to get on-the-job training from a company that specializes in drafting services. There are also many software programs that can be used to create drawings and plans.
The most important thing for anyone who wants to become a draftsman is to have a strong attention to detail. Drafting requires the ability to create precise drawings that meet all the requirements of the project. This means that draftsmen must be able to understand complex technical specifications and be able to visualize the end result.
Those who want to become draftsmen should also have good communication skills. This is because they will often need to work with other professionals, such as engineers and architects, in order to ensure that the drawings are accurate and meet all the necessary requirements.
Related: Draftsman Resume Example