What does a Day Camp Counselor do?
Learn all about Day Camp Counselor duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Day Camp Counselor.
Published 3 min read
A day camp counselor is responsible for the safety and well-being of children at a day camp. They supervise activities, lead games and crafts, and help children with any problems they may have.
Day Camp Counselor job duties include:
- Plan and lead camp activities including games, sports, arts and crafts, field trips, and swimming.
- Supervise a group of children ages 5-12.
- Keep children safe at all times.
- Enforce camp rules.
- Help with set up and clean up of activities.
- Organize and distribute supplies.
- Assist with lunch and snack time.
- Handle discipline issues as they arise.
- Be a positive role model for campers.
Day Camp Counselor Job Requirements
Most day camp counselors have a high school diploma, although some camps may require postsecondary education, and many camps provide on-the-job training. Some states have certification programs for camp counselors. Previous experience working with children is often required or preferred.
Day Camp Counselor Skills
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making
- Conflict Resolution
How to become a Day Camp Counselor
A Day Camp Counselor is a rewarding and fun job for those who enjoy working with children and being outdoors. Here are a few tips on how to become a Day Camp Counselor:
1. Get experience working with children. This can be through babysitting, coaching, volunteering, or working at a daycare or camp.
2. Be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
3. Complete any required training, which may include CPR certification, first aid certification, and child abuse prevention training.
4. Be able to pass a background check.
5. Have strong communication and organizational skills.
6. Be patient, flexible, and creative.
7. Be able to handle challenging behavior in a positive way.
8. Be a role model for campers by exhibiting positive behavior and attitudes.
9. Follow all camp rules and policies.
10. Make safety a priority at all times.
Related: Day Camp Counselor Resume Example