What does a Call Center Specialist do?
Learn all about Call Center Specialist duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Call Center Specialist.
Published 3 min read
A call center specialist is responsible for handling customer inquiries and complaints via telephone, email, and chat. They are also responsible for providing accurate information about products and services, taking orders, and upselling.
Call Center Specialist job duties include:
- Answer inbound customer calls and take appropriate action for each call
- Handle customer inquiries both over the phone and via email
- Research required information using available resources
- Identify and escalate priority issues per established procedures
- Route calls to appropriate resource
- Follow up with customers, provide feedback and see problems through to resolution
- Update customer information in the customer service database during and after each call
- Offer alternative solutions where appropriate with the objective of retaining customers and clients
- Remain current on product and service offerings
Call Center Specialist Job Requirements
A Call Center Specialist typically needs a high school diploma, although some jobs may require postsecondary education, and must complete on-the-job training. They must have excellent communication and customer service skills. Some jobs may require certification, such as a Certified Call Center Professional (CCCP) designation.
Call Center Specialist Skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good listening skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Thick skinned
- Quick thinker
- Tech savvy
How to become a Call Center Specialist
A call center specialist is a professional who provides customer service and support to clients over the phone. They are responsible for handling customer inquiries, complaints, and providing information about products and services. Call center specialists must have excellent communication skills, be patient and efficient, and be able to handle difficult customer service situations.
To become a call center specialist, you will need to complete a post-secondary education program in customer service or a related field. Many call center specialist positions also require experience in customer service or a related field. Once you have completed your education and/or gained the necessary experience, you can apply for call center specialist positions at various companies.