What does an SAS Programmer do?
Learn all about SAS Programmer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an SAS Programmer.
Published 3 min read
A SAS programmer is responsible for writing and testing code that will extract, manipulate, and analyze data using the SAS programming language. They work closely with other members of the data team to ensure that the code they write is efficient and meets the needs of the business.
SAS Programmer job duties include:
- Develop and maintain SAS programs for clinical trials data analysis and reporting
- Write SAS code to extract data from multiple sources, including clinical databases, flat files, and Excel spreadsheets
- Perform statistical analyses using SAS, including descriptive statistics, t-tests, ANOVA, regression, and survival analysis
- Generate tables, listings, and figures from clinical trial data for study reports and publications
- Create SAS macros to automate repetitive tasks
- Validate SAS programs according to CDISC standards
- Support internal and external auditors during SAS program audits
- Train new staff on the use of SAS for data analysis
- Stay up-to-date on new features and functionality in SAS software
SAS Programmer Job Requirements
An SAS Programmer is responsible for developing and maintaining SAS programs to support the business needs of an organization. They work with SAS software to access, manipulate, and analyze data. A successful SAS Programmer must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They should be able to work independently and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
Education: A minimum of a bachelor's degree is required, preferably in computer science, mathematics, or a related field.
Certification: While not required, certification can be beneficial in demonstrating one's proficiency in SAS programming.
Experience: Experience working with SAS software is essential. Prior experience working with data mining, statistical analysis, and/or reporting is also beneficial.
SAS Programmer Skills
- Base SAS
- Advanced SAS
- SAS programming
- Data analysis
- Data manipulation
- Data mining
- Report writing
- Statistical analysis
- Graphical analysis
How to become an SAS Programmer
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to become an SAS programmer may vary depending on your prior experience and skillset. However, some tips on how to become an SAS programmer include studying SAS programming manuals and taking SAS programming courses offered by certified SAS training institutes. In addition, it is helpful to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as experience working with large data sets.
Related: SAS Programmer Resume Example