What does a Zamboni Driver do?
Learn all about Zamboni Driver duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Zamboni Driver.
Published 3 min read
A Zamboni driver is responsible for operating a machine that cleans and resurfaces ice rinks.
Zamboni Driver job duties include:
- Drive Zamboni around rink surface during public skating sessions, as well as before and after sessions
- Inspect Zamboni before and after each use
- Refill Zamboni with water as needed
- Clean debris off of Zamboni blades after each use
- Sharpen Zamboni blades as needed
- Empty Zamboni waste tank after each use
- Check oil level and tire pressure on Zamboni regularly
- Report any mechanical issues with Zamboni to supervisor
- May be responsible for other rink maintenance duties such as painting lines on the ice, setting up goals, etc.
Zamboni Driver Job Requirements
Education: Zamboni drivers typically have a high school diploma or equivalent. Some employers may prefer or require drivers to have a valid commercial driver's license (CDL).
Certification: Although not required, some Zamboni drivers may choose to become certified through the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF). To become IIHF certified, drivers must complete an online training course and pass a written exam.
Experience: Previous experience driving a Zamboni or other large vehicle is often required or preferred by employers.
Zamboni Driver Skills
- Safely operate a Zamboni
- Read and follow directions
- Perform basic maintenance on Zamboni
- Drive in reverse
- Steer Zamboni
- Turn Zamboni
- Accelerate Zamboni
- Decelerate Zamboni
- Stop Zamboni
- Back up Zamboni
How to become a Zamboni Driver
A Zamboni Driver is responsible for operating a machine that resurfaces ice rinks. The Zamboni Driver must be able to operate the machine safely and efficiently. There are a few steps that one must take in order to become a Zamboni Driver.
First, it is important to have a valid driver’s license. Second, most employers will require that the applicant have a clean driving record. Third, some employers may require the applicant to pass a background check. Fourth, it is necessary to complete a training program on how to operate the Zamboni machine. After completing the training program, the applicant will be able to take a test to become certified. Once the applicant has passed the certification test, they will be able to apply for jobs as a Zamboni Driver.
Related: Zamboni Driver Resume Example