What does a Study Abroad Advisor do?
Learn all about Study Abroad Advisor duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Study Abroad Advisor.
Published 3 min read
A Study Abroad Advisor helps students plan their overseas studies, including choosing a program, arranging financing, and managing the visa process. They also provide guidance on cultural adjustment and support during the student's time abroad.
Study Abroad Advisor job duties include:
- Advise students on study abroad opportunities
- Assist with the application process for study abroad programs
- Help students select the most appropriate program based on their academic and personal goals
- Provide information on credit transfer and degree requirements
- Advise students on how to obtain scholarships and financial aid for study abroad programs
- Assist with pre-departure orientation sessions
- Serve as a resource for students during their time abroad
- Be available to answer questions and address concerns via email or phone
- Conduct post-program evaluations with students
Study Abroad Advisor Job Requirements
A Study Abroad Advisor typically needs a Bachelor's degree in a field such as International Studies, Education, or a related field. Many Study Abroad Advisors also have a Master's degree. Certification is not required, but many Study Abroad Advisors choose to pursue certification through organizations such as NAFSA: Association of International Educators or the Forum on Education Abroad. Experience working or studying abroad is also beneficial.
Study Abroad Advisor Skills
- Time Management
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Cultural Awareness
How to become a Study Abroad Advisor
If you're interested in becoming a Study Abroad Advisor, there are a few things you should know. First and foremost, you'll need to have a passion for travel and education. Secondly, you should be able to effectively communicate with students and parents alike. Finally, you'll need to be organized and detail-oriented in order to help students plan their overseas studies.
If you have all of these qualities, then becoming a Study Abroad Advisor may be the perfect career for you! The first step is to contact your local university or college and inquire about their Study Abroad program. Once you've been accepted into the program, you'll be responsible for helping students choose the right country and school for their needs. You'll also need to assist with the application process and provide support during the student's time abroad.
Becoming a Study Abroad Advisor is a great way to help others achieve their dreams of studying overseas. It's a challenging but rewarding job that will allow you to use your skills and knowledge to make a difference in the lives of others.
Related: Study Abroad Advisor Resume Example