What does a Software Support Engineer do?
Learn all about Software Support Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Software Support Engineer.
Published 3 min read
A software support engineer provides technical assistance to customers who are using a company's software products. They troubleshoot software problems and answer customer questions about how to use the software. They may also provide training to customers on how to use the software.
Software Support Engineer job duties include:
- Providing telephone, email and face-to-face support to customers
- Answering customer queries and resolving technical issues
- Diagnosing and resolving faults
- Logging and escalating calls to senior staff where necessary
- Following up calls to ensure that problems have been resolved satisfactorily
- Keeping up to date with new software releases and changes
- Providing training and support to customers on new software releases
- Writing technical documentation
- Liaising with other departments within the company, such as Sales, Marketing and Research & Development
Software Support Engineer Job Requirements
A software support engineer typically needs a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field. Some employers may require certification in specific software programs, and some positions may require experience working with customer support. In addition to technical skills, software support engineers need strong communication and customer service skills to be successful in their role.
Software Support Engineer Skills
- Analytical skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- Technical skills
- Customer service skills
- Communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving skills
How to become a Software Support Engineer
A software support engineer is responsible for providing technical assistance to customers who are using a particular software product. They may also be involved in developing training materials and providing on-site support. In order to become a software support engineer, you will need to have strong technical skills and knowledge of the software product you will be supporting. You should also be able to effectively communicate with customers and have good problem-solving skills.