What does a Senior Architect do?
Learn all about Senior Architect duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Senior Architect.
Published 3 min read
A senior architect is responsible for the design and construction of buildings and other structures. They work with clients to determine the best way to use space and create a design that meets their needs. Senior architects also oversee the work of junior architects and other members of the construction team.
Senior Architect job duties include:
- Meeting with clients to discuss the needs and requirements for a project
- Conducting research to generate design solutions that are innovative and appropriate
- Preparing feasibility studies, sketches, and reports
- Creating detailed construction documents using computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Working with other architects, engineers, and contractors during the construction process to ensure that the project is completed according to plan
- Inspecting construction sites to monitor progress and ensure compliance with safety regulations
- Coordinating the work of interns and junior architects on a project team
- Keeping up to date with advances in technology and architecture trends
- Continuing their education throughout their career to maintain their license
Senior Architect Job Requirements
A Senior Architect is a professional who has many years of experience in the field of architecture. They have usually completed a Master's degree or higher in the field, and have also gained a significant amount of experience working as an architect. In addition, they may also be certified by the American Institute of Architects.
Senior Architect Skills
- Able to lead and work in a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexible and adaptable
- Good problem solving skills
- Able to work to deadlines
- Able to prioritise workloads
- IT Literate
- Good time management skills
- Commercial awareness
How to become a Senior Architect
There is no one specific path to becoming a Senior Architect. However, there are a few things that will help you on the way. Firstly, it is important to get a good education. This means completing a Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) degree from an accredited institution. Secondly, you will need to gain experience in the field. This can be done by working as an architect for a number of years, or by completing an internship with a firm. Finally, it is also beneficial to be involved in professional organizations such as the American Institute of Architects (AIA). By doing these things, you will increase your chances of becoming a Senior Architect.
Related: Senior Architect Resume Example