What does a Security Guard do?
Learn all about Security Guard duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Security Guard.
Published 4 min read
A security guard is responsible for the safety and security of a property or event. They may patrol the premises, monitor security cameras, and investigate any suspicious activity. In the event of an emergency, they will take appropriate action to ensure the safety of all individuals on the property.
Security Guard job duties include:
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to protect against theft and maintain security of premises
- Write reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences
- Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons
- Circulate among visitors, patrons, and employees to preserve order and protect property
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances
- Monitor and adjust security camera feeds
- Patrol industrial and commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates
- Investigate suspicious circumstances, incidents, complaints involving fires, thefts or vandalism
- Control access to client property by maintaining guest registers
- Prepare incident reports for review by law enforcement agencies
Security Guard Job Requirements
Most security guards have at least a high school diploma, although some jobs may require postsecondary education, and many jobs also require security guards to undergo on-the-job training. Some states also have certification requirements for security guards. In addition to formal education and training, security guards also need experience working with the public and handling customer service issues.
Security Guard Skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Physical fitness
- Mental fitness
How to become a Security Guard
A security guard is a professional who is responsible for the safety and security of people, property, and assets. Security guards are employed in a variety of settings, including office buildings, retail stores, hotels, and schools. They may work alone or in teams.
The most important responsibility of a security guard is to protect the people and property they are assigned to. To do this, they must be alert and attentive at all times. They must also be able to think quickly and make decisions in an emergency.
Security guards must be able to communicate effectively. They need to be able to give instructions clearly and calmly. They also need to be able to write reports that are accurate and complete.
Security guards must have good physical stamina. They may be required to stand for long periods of time or to patrol a large area on foot. They may also need to chase after criminals or respond to violent situations.
Most security guards receive on-the-job training from their employer. Training typically includes learning how to use the equipment they will be using on the job, such as radios and batons. Guards also learn about state and local laws related to security work, as well as first aid and CPR.
Related: Security Guard Resume Example