What does a Secondary Teacher do?
Learn all about Secondary Teacher duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Secondary Teacher.
Published 3 min read
A secondary teacher is a teacher who works in a secondary school. They teach subjects such as English, Math, Science, and History to students in grades 9-12.
Secondary Teacher job duties include:
- Plan and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences
- Develop unit and lesson plans in line with curriculum guidelines
- Utilize a variety of instructional techniques to engage students in active learning
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a productive learning environment
- Identify and select different instructional resources and technology to support student learning
- Observe and evaluate student's performance and development
- Provide feedback to students on their progress
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development
Secondary Teacher Job Requirements
A secondary teacher is someone who teaches either middle school or high school. In order to be a secondary teacher, you must have at least a bachelor's degree in education or a related field. You must also be certified to teach in your state. Some states require you to have a master's degree in education as well. In addition to education and certification, you must also have some experience working with children or adolescents in an educational setting.
Secondary Teacher Skills
- Classroom management
- Public speaking
- Problem solving
How to become a Secondary Teacher
There are many ways to become a secondary teacher. The most common way is to complete a four-year undergraduate degree in education and then complete a one-year graduate program in secondary education. Alternatively, some people choose to complete a two-year associate's degree in education and then complete a two-year graduate program in secondary education. There are also many online programs that allow you to earn your degree in education without having to leave your current job.
The most important thing for becoming a successful secondary teacher is to have a passion for teaching and working with young people. You must be patient, caring, and have the ability to build relationships with your students. You must also be able to effectively manage your classroom and create an environment that is conducive to learning.
Related: Secondary Teacher Resume Example