What does a Recreation Director do?
Learn all about Recreation Director duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Recreation Director.
Published 3 min read
A recreation director is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing recreation programs and activities for a community, organization, or facility. They may also be responsible for maintaining facilities and equipment, and hiring and training staff.
Recreation Director job duties include:
- Plan, direct, and coordinate recreation-related activities of an organization or community.
- Direct the hiring and training of recreation staff.
- Develop and implement recreation programs and activities.
- Schedule the use of recreation facilities and equipment.
- Monitor the safety of participants in recreation activities.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of recreation programs and activities.
- Prepare reports on the status of recreation programs and activities.
- Plan and oversee special events such as tournaments, competitions, and festivals.
- Collaborate with other professionals to develop recreational facilities or plan recreational events.
Recreation Director Job Requirements
A recreation director is responsible for the overall operation of a recreation center, park, or program. They develop and implement recreation programs and activities, train and supervise staff, and manage budgets. A recreation director typically has a bachelor's degree in recreation management or a related field. Some employers may require certification from the National Recreation and Park Association. Several years of experience working in recreation is also typically required.
Recreation Director Skills
- Event Planning
- Public Speaking
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time Management
How to become a Recreation Director
A recreation director is responsible for the overall operation of a recreation program. They provide leadership and direction for staff, develop and implement programs and activities, and ensure the safety of participants.
To become a recreation director, you will need to have at least a bachelor’s degree in recreation or a related field. You will also need several years of experience working in recreation, as well as supervisory experience. Strong communication and organizational skills are essential, as is the ability to work well with people of all ages.
Related: Recreation Director Resume Example