What does a Plastic Surgeon do?
Learn all about Plastic Surgeon duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Plastic Surgeon.
Published 3 min read
A plastic surgeon is a medical professional who specializes in the correction or restoration of form and function in the human body. This includes both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.
Plastic Surgeon job duties include:
- Consult with patients to assess their needs and desires for plastic surgery
- Examine patients to determine the best surgical procedure
- Educate patients on the risks and benefits of various procedures
- Develop treatment plans and perform surgeries
- Monitor patients’ progress and provide post-operative care
- Keep abreast of new developments in plastic surgery techniques and technology
- Conduct research to improve existing surgical methods
- Present findings at medical conferences
- Publish articles in medical journals
Plastic Surgeon Job Requirements
A plastic surgeon must have a degree from an accredited medical school and complete a residency in plastic surgery. They must also be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition, they should have several years of experience performing plastic surgery procedures.
Plastic Surgeon Skills
- Board certified
- Years of experience
- Skilled in performing surgery
- Trained in Plastic Surgery
- Experienced in all aspects of Plastic Surgery
- Proficient in the use of surgical instruments
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Good organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
How to become a Plastic Surgeon
There are many reasons why someone might want to become a plastic surgeon. Perhaps they have always been interested in the human body and how it works. Maybe they have seen someone close to them go through a difficult surgery and they want to help others in the same situation. Whatever the reason, becoming a plastic surgeon is a long and difficult process that requires dedication and hard work.
The first step is to complete an undergraduate degree. This can be in any field, but many plastic surgeons choose to study pre-med or a related field such as biology or chemistry. During this time, it is important to get good grades and gain experience in the medical field if possible. After completing an undergraduate degree, the next step is to attend medical school. This will take four years and during this time, students will learn about all aspects of medicine. It is important to do well in medical school and gain experience in the field of plastic surgery if possible.
After completing medical school, the next step is to complete a residency in plastic surgery. This will last for four years and during this time, surgeons will learn about all aspects of plastic surgery. They will also gain experience performing surgeries. Once a surgeon has completed their residency, they can then take the exams necessary to become certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Becoming a plastic surgeon is a long and difficult process but it can be very rewarding. Those who are dedicated and hardworking can become successful surgeons who help others improve their lives.
Related: Plastic Surgeon Resume Example