What does a Physician Liaison do?
Learn all about Physician Liaison duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Physician Liaison.
Published 3 min read
A physician liaison is a medical professional who acts as a bridge between physicians and other members of the healthcare team. They are responsible for communicating information between the two groups, coordinating care, and ensuring that everyone is on the same page. Physician liaisons also play a vital role in patient education and outreach.
Physician Liaison job duties include:
- Establish and maintain relationships with referring physicians
- Participate in physician outreach activities
- Educate physicians and their staff on the services offered by the hospital or health system
- Serve as a resource for physicians on clinical programs, research studies, and new technology
- Assist with the coordination of patient referrals
- Follow up with referring physicians on the status of their patients
- Attend physician office visits and hospital rounds
- Keep abreast of changes in the healthcare industry that may impact referral patterns
- Provide feedback to hospital administration on physician satisfaction and concerns
Physician Liaison Job Requirements
In order to become a physician liaison, one must have at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as healthcare administration or business. Additionally, many employers prefer candidates who have previous experience working in a hospital or medical office setting. While there is no specific certification required to become a physician liaison, completing a professional development program or taking courses related to the job may be beneficial.
Physician Liaison Skills
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong computer skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry
- Marketing experience
- Sales experience
How to become a Physician Liaison
A physician liaison is a medical professional who serves as a communication link between physicians and other health care providers. As a physician liaison, you will be responsible for coordinating care between different medical teams, communicating new policies and procedures to physicians, and providing education and training to physicians on new technology and treatments. To become a physician liaison, you will need to have excellent communication skills and a strong knowledge of the healthcare industry.
Related: Physician Liaison Resume Example