What does a PCB Design Engineer do?
Learn all about PCB Design Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a PCB Design Engineer.
Published 4 min read
A PCB design engineer is responsible for the physical design of printed circuit boards (PCBs). This includes the layout of the components, routing of the traces, and ensuring that the board meets all electrical and mechanical requirements. The PCB design engineer also works with the manufacturing team to ensure that the board can be manufactured correctly and within budget.
PCB Design Engineer job duties include:
- Developing PCB designs according to customer specifications
- Creating schematics and layouts for PCBs
- Testing and debugging PCB designs
- Ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations
- Generating documentation for PCB designs
- Collaborating with other engineers and technicians in the design process
- Ordering and procuring materials for PCB fabrication
- Supervising the fabrication process of PCBs
- Installing and commissioning PCBs
PCB Design Engineer Job Requirements
A PCB design engineer is responsible for the physical design of printed circuit boards (PCBs). They develop PCB layouts, create schematics, and test prototypes. A PCB design engineer should have a bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably in electrical engineering. They should also have experience with CAD software, such as Altium Designer, and be familiar with IPC standards. Certification from the Institute of Printed Circuits is also beneficial.
PCB Design Engineer Skills
- Must have excellent understanding of PCB design, fabrication, and assembly processes
- Must be able to work with cross-functional teams and understand their requirements
- Should be able to use CAD tools for designing PCBs
- Should have good knowledge of schematics and layout
- Should be able to generate Gerber files
- Must be familiar with IPC standards
- Should have good communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team
- Should be detail oriented and have good problem solving skills
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
How to become a PCB Design Engineer
A Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design engineer designs and develops printed circuit boards. They are responsible for the layout of the board, the routing of the traces, and the placement of the components.
To become a PCB design engineer, you will need to have a strong understanding of electronics and be able to use computer-aided design (CAD) software. You will also need to be able to work with other engineers to ensure that the board meets all the requirements.
The first step to becoming a PCB design engineer is to get a degree in electrical engineering or a related field. This will give you the necessary theoretical knowledge to be successful in this role.
Once you have your degree, you will need to gain some experience working with electronics. This can be done through internships or working on personal projects.
Once you have some experience, you can start applying for jobs as a PCB design engineer. To increase your chances of getting hired, it is important to have a strong portfolio that showcases your skills and abilities.
Related: PCB Design Engineer Resume Example