What does a Business Intelligence Analyst do?
Learn all about Business Intelligence Analyst duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Business Intelligence Analyst.
Published 3 min read
A business intelligence analyst is responsible for developing and implementing data-driven solutions to business problems. They work with large sets of data to identify trends and patterns, and then use this information to develop recommendations for improving business processes. In many cases, business intelligence analysts also develop and maintain the software applications used to collect and analyze data.
Business Intelligence Analyst job duties include:
- Design, develop, implement and maintain BI solutions
- Understand business processes and data requirements
- Work with ETL tools for data extraction, transformation and loading
- Design and develop OLAP cubes for data analysis
- Use BI tools for reporting and data visualization
- Perform root cause analysis to identify business issues
- Generate ad-hoc reports as per business needs
- Monitor BI system performance and fine-tune it for optimal usage
- Provide training and support to users
- Keep abreast of latest BI trends and technologies
Business Intelligence Analyst Job Requirements
A business intelligence analyst is responsible for analyzing an organization's data and providing insights that help guide business decisions. The job requires a combination of technical and analytical skills, as well as a deep understanding of the business. Most business intelligence analysts have at least a bachelor's degree in a field such as computer science, statistics, or math. In addition, many employers require analysts to have experience working with data and analytics tools, as well as strong communication and presentation skills.
Business Intelligence Analyst Skills
- Data analysis
- Data visualization
- Presentation skills
- Business acumen
- Communication skills
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Time management
- Organizational skills
- Attention to detail
How to become a Business Intelligence Analyst
A Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for turning data into insights that help businesses make better decisions. They must be able to identify trends, patterns, and relationships in data, and then communicate their findings to decision-makers in a clear and concise manner.
If you’re interested in becoming a Business Intelligence Analyst, here are a few things you can do:
1. Get a degree in business, economics, mathematics, or another relevant field.
2. Develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
3. Learn how to use data visualization tools to communicate your findings effectively.
4. Stay up-to-date on the latest trends and developments in business intelligence.
5. Find a mentor who can help you develop your skills and knowledge.