What does a BI Architect do?
Learn all about BI Architect duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a BI Architect.
Published 3 min read
A BI Architect is responsible for designing, developing, and deploying business intelligence solutions. They work with clients to understand their needs and requirements, and then design and implement a solution that meets those needs. BI Architects also work with developers to create and maintain the BI software applications.
BI Architect job duties include:
- Design and implement ETL processes to load data into the data warehouse
- Design and implement data warehouses
- Design and implement data marts
- Design and implement OLAP cubes
- Design and implement reporting solutions
- Design and implement dashboards
- Work with business users to understand their needs and requirements
- Work with IT staff to ensure that the BI solution is properly implemented
- Train and support business users on how to use the BI tools
- Monitor and tune the BI system to ensure optimal performance
BI Architect Job Requirements
A BI Architect typically has a Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field. They may also have a Master's degree or certification in business intelligence or data warehousing. A BI Architect typically has 5-10 years of experience working with business intelligence tools and data warehouses. They should have a strong understanding of data modeling, ETL (extract, transform, load), and reporting.
BI Architect Skills
- Data Modeling
- Data Warehousing
- Data Mining
- Business Intelligence
How to become a BI Architect
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to becoming a BI Architect, but there are some key steps that will help you on your way. Firstly, it is important to have a strong technical foundation in data warehousing, ETL (extract, transform, load), and reporting tools. Secondly, you should have experience in designing and implementing BI solutions for a variety of different business domains. Thirdly, it is helpful to be familiar with a range of different data visualization techniques. Finally, it is also important to have good project management skills and be able to effectively communicate with both business and IT stakeholders.
Related: BI Architect Resume Example