IBM Legal Counsel Resume Examples
This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to craft an effective resume for aspiring IBM Legal Counsels, including examples and key points to highlight.
Published 10 min read
This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to write an effective resume for the position of Legal Counsel at IBM. It delves into understanding IBM's corporate culture, highlighting the essential skills, experiences, and qualifications that IBM values in its legal team. The article offers advice on tailoring your resume to showcase relevant legal expertise, emphasizing experiences with technology law, intellectual property, and corporate governance. It also suggests ways to highlight soft skills like negotiation, communication, and problem-solving abilities that are crucial for this role. Additionally, it includes tips on showcasing your ability to work in a fast-paced global environment and adapt to the evolving needs of a tech industry giant like IBM.
IBM Legal Counsel Resume Created Using Our Resume Builder
IBM Legal Counsel Resume Example
Avigayil Iott, Legal Counsel
Highly skilled Legal Counsel with five years of experience in providing expert legal support and advice to various organizations. Proficient in drafting legal documents, conducting legal analysis, and managing litigations. Demonstrated ability to negotiate contracts and manage corporate legal risks. Excellent problem-solving skills with a strong background in corporate law. Proven track record of effectively communicating complex legal concepts and strategies to diverse audiences. Committed to maintaining the highest level of professional ethics and integrity.
Senior Legal Counsel at Jones Day, OH
Jun 2023 - Present
- Successfully negotiated and closed over $500 million in M&A deals, contributing to the firm's growth and profitability.
- Led a team that won a high-stakes litigation case, saving the client $2 billion in potential losses.
- Streamlined internal legal procedures, reducing average case handling time by 30% and improving overall efficiency.
- Implemented a legal risk management strategy that reduced the firm's potential liability exposure by 40%.
Associate Legal Counsel at Squire Patton Boggs, OH
Aug 2018 - May 2023
- Successfully negotiated and finalized over 50 contracts with international clients, resulting in an increase of the firm's global presence by 20%.
- Efficiently managed a portfolio of 100+ cases, ensuring 85% of them were resolved favorably, thereby improving the firm's win rate.
- Reduced outside counsel expenses by 30% by bringing more work in-house and implementing cost-effective legal strategies.
- Led a team that implemented a new compliance program, resulting in a 40% decrease in regulatory violations across the firm.
Master of Laws in Corporate Law at Ohio State University, OH
Sep 2013 - May 2018
Relevant Coursework: Corporate Governance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Securities Regulation, Contract Law, Business Associations, Antitrust Law, International Business Transactions, Corporate Finance, Commercial Arbitration, Intellectual Property Law, Tax Law, Corporate Bankruptcy, and Compliance and Risk Management.
- Contract Drafting
- Legal Research
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Compliance Management
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP)
- Certified Contract Management Professional (CCMP)
Tips for Writing a Better IBM Legal Counsel Resume
1. Highlight relevant skills: Legal counsel roles require a particular skill set. Make sure to highlight your legal research, analysis, negotiation, and litigation skills. Also, emphasize your knowledge in areas such as corporate law, intellectual property rights, employment law, etc.
2. Showcase your experience: If you have worked as a legal counsel before or have relevant legal experiences, make sure to include these details in your resume. Explain the tasks you handled and how you contributed to the success of your previous organizations.
3. Include IBM-specific knowledge: If you have experience or familiarity with IBM products or services, it's essential to mention this on your resume. This includes any knowledge of IBM's business operations or industry regulations.
4. Mention certifications and education: A degree in law is mandatory for legal counsel positions. If you have further qualifications like a Master’s degree in law (LLM) or certifications related to corporate law or IT law, do not forget to add them as these can give you an edge over other applicants.
5. Use specific examples: Instead of listing duties and responsibilities from previous jobs, give concrete examples of achievements and successes that demonstrate those skills in action.
6. Show understanding of tech industry: As IBM is a technology company, showing an understanding of the tech industry can be beneficial. This could include any experience working with tech clients or issues related to technology law.
7. Tailor your resume for the job description: Ensure that your resume matches the specific requirements listed in the job description provided by IBM for the role of legal counsel.
8. Proofread carefully: Make sure there are no typos or grammatical errors in your resume; attention to detail is crucial in legal work.
9. Use professional language: Your resume should be professionally written using formal language and jargon related to the field of law.
10. Keep it concise and clear: Avoid unnecessary jargon and keep sentences short and clear for easy reading and understanding by recruiters at IBM.
11.Add references if possible - Having references from past employers who can vouch for your abilities can boost credibility on a resume.
12.Include soft skills - Skills such as communication abilities, analytical thinking and problem-solving skills are highly valued in this position so don't forget to include them too!
Related: Legal Counsel Resume Examples
Key Skills Hiring Managers Look for on IBM Legal Counsel Resumes
Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) are used by many companies, including IBM, to streamline the hiring process. The ATS scans resumes and cover letters for keywords that match those in the job description. Therefore, when applying for a Legal Counsel position at IBM, it's paramount to incorporate relevant keywords from the job description into your application documents. This helps ensure that your application passes through the initial automated screening and reaches the human recruiters. By mirroring the language in the job posting, you demonstrate that you understand what's required for the role and indicate a high level of interest in the position, thereby increasing your chances of being shortlisted for an interview.
When applying for legal counsel positions at IBM, you may encounter a list of common skills and key terms.
|Key Skills and Proficiencies|
|Legal Knowledge||Analytical Skills|
|Negotiation Skills||Communication Skills|
|Research Skills||Attention to Detail|
|Problem-solving Skills||Legal Compliance Understanding|
|Contract Drafting and Reviewing||Risk Assessment Abilities|
|Dispute Resolution Expertise||Proficiency in Legal Software|
|Corporate Governance Knowledge||Strategic Planning Abilities|
|Business Acumen||Time Management Skills|
|Ethical Decision Making||Confidentiality Maintenance|
|Litigation Management||Intellectual Property Rights Understanding|
|Teamwork and Collaboration Abilities||Crisis Management Capabilities|
Common Action Verbs for IBM Legal Counsel Resumes
Creating an impressive IBM Legal Counsel Resume can be a challenging task, especially when it comes to selecting diverse action verbs. The use of repetitive or common verbs can make the resume monotonous and fail to catch the attention of hiring managers. It is crucial to incorporate varied and powerful action verbs that not only describe your skills and experiences precisely but also help you stand out from others. These verbs add more value to your accomplishments, providing a vivid picture of your capabilities. They make your resume more compelling by showcasing your proactive approach and leadership qualities, which are key traits for a Legal Counsel role at IBM. Hence, choosing the right action verbs is instrumental in crafting an effective resume that leaves a lasting impression.
To provide you with an advantage over your competition, we've assembled a list of impactful action verbs that can enhance your resume and secure your next interview:
Related: What does a Legal Counsel do?