12 Medical Sales Representative Skills: Definition and Examples
By ResumeCat Editorial Team
Published September 1, 2022
In order to be a successful medical sales representative, one must have a specific set of skills. These skills include: product knowledge, territory management, time management, communication, presentation, negotiation, and closing.
Create your resume
Select from 7 professional resume templates
Medical Sales Representative Skills
- Business development
- Territory management
- Time management
- Organizational skills
- Product knowledge
- Industry knowledge
- Customer service
Communication is key in any sales position, but especially in medical sales. You need to be able to clearly and effectively communicate with potential customers (medical professionals) about your product or service. You also need to be able to listen to their needs and concerns in order to address them properly. Strong communication skills will help you build relationships with customers and close more sales.
Persuasion is the ability to convince someone to do something that they may not be inclined to do. In medical sales, persuasion is important because you often have to convince doctors and other medical professionals to use or prescribe your product. If you can't persuade them, you won't make any sales.
Negotiation is the process of trying to reach an agreement between two or more people. In medical sales, negotiation skills are important because they can help you get the best possible price for your products or services. Negotiation skills can also be helpful in other aspects of medical sales, such as convincing a doctor to prescribe your product.
The ability to sell is essential for any medical sales representative. They need to be able to convince potential customers that their product is the best on the market and that it is worth the price.
Marketing is the process of creating and delivering messages that promote the sale of products or services. As a medical sales representative, you will need to be able to effectively market your products or services to potential customers. This includes being able to identify your target market, understanding their needs, and creating and delivering messages that appeal to them.
The ability to develop new business is essential for any medical sales representative. This skill allows them to identify and pursue new opportunities, build relationships with potential customers, and ultimately generate new business. Without this skill, a medical sales representative would be limited to selling to existing customers only, which would quickly lead to a decline in sales.
Territory management is the process of organizing and managing a sales territory so that it is productive and efficient. A good territory management plan will help a sales representative to maximize their time and resources in order to achieve their sales goals.
Time management is the ability to plan, organize, and prioritize your time in order to achieve specific goals. As a medical sales representative, you need time management skills to be able to effectively manage your time between meeting with clients, prospecting for new business, and administrative tasks.
Organizational skills are important for medical sales representatives because they need to be able to keep track of their appointments, sales calls, and product information. They also need to be able to organize their thoughts and presentations in a way that is clear and concise.
Product knowledge is critical for any medical sales representative because they need to be able to discuss the features and benefits of their products with potential customers. Without a strong understanding of the products they are selling, representatives will not be able to effectively sell them. Additionally, product knowledge can help representatives troubleshoot any issues that customers may have with the products.
Industry knowledge is important for a medical sales representative because they need to be able to understand the products they are selling and the needs of their customers. They also need to be up-to-date on industry trends so that they can sell their products effectively.
Customer service is the ability to provide excellent customer service to clients and customers. This skill is important for medical sales representatives because they need to be able to build relationships with clients and customers, and provide them with the information and support they need.
How to improve medical sales representative skills
The medical sales industry is highly competitive. In order to be successful, medical sales representatives need to be armed with the right skills. Here are some tips on how to improve your skills as a medical sales representative:
1. Stay up to date on the latest medical advancements and products. Keep abreast of new developments in the medical field so that you can effectively sell the latest products and services. Attend trade shows and conferences, and read industry publications to stay informed.
2. Develop a strong understanding of your products. In order to sell your products effectively, you need to have in-depth knowledge about them. Be sure to thoroughly understand the features and benefits of your products, as well as any potential side effects.
3. Build relationships with customers. Good customer relationships are key in any sales industry, but they’re especially important in medical sales. Your customers are entrusting you with their health, so it’s important that they feel comfortable with you and believe that you have their best interests at heart. Get to know your customers and their needs so that you can better serve them.
4. Be persuasive without being pushy. It’s important to be assertive when selling medical products, but you don’t want to come across as pushy or aggressive. Find the right balance between being persuasive and being respectful of your customers’ wishes.
5. Be prepared for objections. When selling medical products, it’s inevitable that you will encounter objections from customers at some point. Be prepared with responses to common objections so that you can keep the sale moving forward despite any bumps in the road.
6. Close the sale confidently. Once you’ve overcome any objections and secured a commitment from the customer, close the sale confidently and efficiently. Thank the customer for their business and move on to the next sale
How to highlight medical sales representative skills
As a medical sales representative, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with potential customers, as well as understand and explain the features and benefits of your products. You should also be able to work independently and be self-motivated to meet sales goals. Additionally, it is helpful to be knowledgeable about the competition’s products in order to be able to address any concerns that potential customers may have.
On a resume
In order to highlight your skills as a Medical Sales Representative on your resume, you should include your experience working with clients, your knowledge of the medical industry, and your ability to sell products or services. You should also include any awards or recognition you have received for your work in medical sales.
In a cover letter
In your cover letter, be sure to highlight your skills as a Medical Sales Representative. Include your experience working with clients, your knowledge of the medical industry, and your ability to build relationships with customers. Also, mention your success in meeting sales targets and achieving quotas.
During an interview
When you are interviewed for a medical sales representative position, be sure to highlight your skills in customer service, communication, and product knowledge. Emphasize your ability to establish and maintain relationships with customers, as well as your experience working with medical professionals. Be sure to give specific examples of times when you successfully sold products or services to customers.