Writing a great peer counselor resume is important because it is one of the first things a potential employer will see when they are considering you for a position. It is your opportunity to make a good first impression and sell yourself as the best candidate for the job.
Create your resume
Select from 7 professional resume templates
If you're looking for inspiration when it comes to drafting your own peer counselor resume, look no further than the samples below. These resumes will help you highlight your experience and qualifications in the most effective way possible, giving you the best chance of landing the peer counselor job you're after.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (553) 856-5740 | Fairfax, VA
I have over three years of experience as a peer counselor. I am skilled in active listening, providing emotional support, and crisis intervention. I have helped clients overcome challenges such as anxiety, depression, substance abuse, relationship issues, and grief. My goal is to provide warm and nonjudgmental support so that my clients can feel heard and understood. I believe that everyone has the strength within them to make positive changes in their lives, and it is an honor to be a part of that journey with them.
Lead Peer Counselor at BetterHelp, VAMar 2022 - Present
- Led group counseling sessions for up to 10 clients at a time.
- Wrote individualized treatment plans for each client.
- Monitored and documented client progress.
- Facilitated referrals to other agencies as needed.
- Provided crisis intervention services as needed.
- Conducted intake interviews with new clients.
Senior Peer Counselor at 7 Cups, VASep 2019 - Mar 2022
- Trained new peer counselors on active listening skills, providing resources, and de-escalation techniques.
- Led weekly support groups for clients with anxiety disorders which resulted in a decrease in symptoms for 80% of participants.
- Counseled individual clients experiencing depression, grief, or relationship difficulties resulting in improved mental health for 85% of patients.
- Actively participated in case management meetings to develop treatment plans for clients with complex needs.
- Monitored client progress and updated treatment goals as needed.
- Successfully advocated on behalf of 10 clients to connect them with necessary community resources such as housing or food assistance programs.
High School Diploma at George Mason University, VAAug 2015 - May 2019
I've learned how to study for and take tests, how to do research, and how to write papers.
- Active listening
- Respectful communication
- Boundary setting
email@example.com | (717) 701-5901 | 1234 Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23233
I am a Peer Counselor with over 3 years of experience. I have helped clients in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, and community organizations. I have provided counseling services to individuals, families, and groups. I am skilled in crisis intervention and providing support to clients who are experiencing emotional distress. I am also experienced in conducting assessments and making referrals to appropriate resources.
Lead Peer Counselor at National Alliance on Mental Illness, VAApr 2022 - Present
- Led a team of 8 peer counselors who provided support to 60 clients per week.
- Trained new peer counselors on active listening techniques and counseling methods.
- Created weekly schedules and assigned tasks to peer counselors based on their strengths.
- Monitored client progress and documented changes in behavior or mental state.
- Led group counseling sessions focused on topics such as stress management, grief, or addiction recovery.
- Met one-on-one with clients for crisis intervention or long-term goal planning.
Senior Peer Counselor at The Peer Recovery Project, VAJul 2019 - Mar 2022
- Led weekly support groups for clients with chronic mental illness, averaging 10 participants per group.
- Acted as primary case manager for 20 clients, providing individualized counseling and referrals to appropriate resources.
- Facilitated conflict resolution between staff members on 3 occasions.
- Chaired the Employee Wellness Committee, which successfully implemented a smoking cessation program that helped 30 employees quit smoking.
- Led an 8-week anger management course for 15 individuals with histories of violence.
High School Diploma at George Mason University, VASep 2015 - May 2019
I've learned to be patient, to work independently, and to manage my time wisely.
- Active listening
- Respectful communication
- Conflict resolution skills
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
- 7. Ability to maintain confidentiality