Writing a great legislative assistant resume is important because it is one of the first things a potential employer will see when they are considering you for a position. It is your opportunity to make a good first impression and sell yourself as the best candidate for the job.
Create your resume
Select from 7 professional resume templates
If you're looking for inspiration when it comes to drafting your own legislative assistant resume, look no further than the samples below. These resumes will help you highlight your experience and qualifications in the most effective way possible, giving you the best chance of landing the legislative assistant job you're after.
firstname.lastname@example.org | (587) 855-2579 | 155 Pearl St, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
I am a Legislative Assistant with over 4 years of experience working in the political field. I have worked on various campaigns, as well as in an office setting for elected officials. I have gained a wealth of knowledge and skills that I can utilize in any legislative or government position. My top strengths include excellent writing abilities, research skills, multitasking, time management, and interpersonal communication. I am also proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms. In my previous positions, I have successfully managed multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines and maintaining high standards of quality work product
Legislative Assistant at Legislative assistants may work for the Vermont General Assembly, the Vermont Senate, or the Vermont House of Representatives., VTMar 2022 - Present
- Successfully advocated for the passing of three bills through state legislature with a 90% success rate.
- Wrote and distributed over 500 press releases to local news stations regarding upcoming events and legislative achievements.
- Successfully managed social media accounts for elected official, gaining an average of 200 new followers per month.
- Met or exceeded fundraising goals set by campaign manager during election season, bringing in an average of $5,000 per week.
- Collaborated with other members of staff to plan and execute successful community outreach events that averaged 100 attendees each month.
- Regularly communicated updates on legislation progress to constituents via email blast, averaging 1,500 subscribers.
Senior Legislative Assistant at , VTSep 2018 - Jan 2022
- Wrote and edited legislation for a state senator.
- Monitored bills for the senator in committees and on the senate floor.
- Attended hearings to provide information and testimony on behalf of the senator’s office.
- Assisted with constituent casework, including drafting letters and researching solutions to problems.
- Planned events for the senator, such as town halls and community meetings.
- Managed social media accounts for the senator.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science at University of VermontAug 2014 - May 2018
Some skills I've learned are: critical thinking, writing analytical papers, research skills, and public speaking.
- Legislative process
- Time management
- Interpersonal skills
email@example.com | (568) 123-6271 | Kailua Kona, HI
I am a highly experienced Legislative Assistant, with over 4 years working in the field. I have extensive knowledge of the legislative process, and have worked closely with legislators to advance various bills through the system. I am extremely well-organized and detail-oriented, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. I am confident in my ability to manage complex projects independently, and thrive in fast-paced environments.
Legislative Assistant at Hawaii State Legislature, HIMay 2022 - Present
- Wrote and distributed weekly newsletter to constituents.
- Answered an average of 100 constituent phone calls per week.
- Drafted 10 pieces of legislation during the 2017-2018 session.
- Assisted in organizing 5 community events each year.
- Managed social media accounts for office, averaging 20 posts per week.
Senior Legislative Assistant at Office of the Legislative Auditor, HIJul 2018 - Apr 2022
- Wrote and distributed daily legislative reports to senior staff and clients.
- Monitored several committees for assigned bills and amendments.
- Attended hearings, markups, and other events on behalf of the firm’s clients.
- Researched issues related to energy, tax policy, healthcare, transportation, etc.
- Assisted in drafting client memos, letters to Congress/regulatory agencies.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science at University of Hawaii at Manoa, HIAug 2014 - May 2018
I have learned excellent research, writing, and critical thinking skills while studying for my Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.
- Time Management
- Interpersonal Skills
- Legislative Processes