email@example.com | (589) 186-8510 | 8 Elm St, Cambridge, MA 02138
General Counsel at Harvard University, MAMar 2022 - Present
- Negotiated and closed over $1B in acquisition deals.
- Led the legal team that took the company public.
- Successfully defended the company against patent infringement claims.
- Wrote and implemented policies that reduced risk of litigation by 30%.
- Saved the company millions of dollars in potential liability through proactive counseling.
- Hired and managed a team of 15 attorneys.
Senior Counsel at Boston University, MAJul 2018 - Jan 2022
- Negotiated and closed a $30 million deal with ABC Corporation.
- Defended client in court and won the case.
- Wrote legislation that was passed by Congress.
- Successfully argued a motion in front of the Supreme Court.
- Resolved a dispute between two companies without going to trial.
- Saved company millions of dollars in legal fees.
Associate General Counsel at Suffolk University, MAAug 2015 - Jun 2018
- Negotiated and draft settlement agreements for $30 million.
- Defended company in arbitration proceedings that resulted in a favorable outcome for the client.
- Wrote legal opinion letters on various topics with positive feedback from clients.
- Reviewed, negotiated, and revised commercial contracts totaling over $100 million.
- Counseled clients on compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Successfully handled complex litigation matters.
Juris Doctor at Harvard University, MASep 2011 - May 2015
Some skills I've learned are: critical thinking, problem solving, research, writing, and oral advocacy.
- Legal research
- Writing legal briefs
- Oral advocacy
- Legal analysis
- Client counseling
- Negotiation skills
firstname.lastname@example.org | (498) 585-5221 | 78 W Main St, Indianapolis, IN 46202
General Counsel at Cummins, INMay 2022 - Present
- Led the development of new compliance policies and procedures that reduced regulatory risk by 25%.
- Negotiated settlements in 5 complex litigation matters, saving the company $2.5 million.
- Managed a team of 15 lawyers, paralegals and support staff while maintaining an annual budget under $3 million.
- Reviewed and revised 500 contracts per year, ensuring compliance with regulations while protecting the company’s interests.
- Provided legal advice to senior management on a variety of issues including employment law, intellectual property and corporate governance.
- Successfully defended the company against 3 patent infringement lawsuits.
Senior Counsel at Eli Lilly and Company, INJul 2019 - Apr 2022
- Led a team of 15 lawyers in successfully resolving a $1 billion antitrust dispute.
- Defeated class certification in a putative nationwide consumer fraud case, saving the company an estimated $100 million in potential damages.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a major pharmaceutical company in patent infringement litigation, precluding the launch of generic versions of two blockbuster drugs and protecting over $1 billion in annual sales.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous complex commercial contracts worth billions of dollars for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-ups.
- Persuaded the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit to overturn lower court decisions and dismiss two inter partes review proceedings brought by competitors challenging our client’s patents.
Associate General Counsel at Indiana University, INJul 2015 - May 2019
- Led a team of 5 lawyers in successfully negotiating and drafting a complex $600 million joint venture agreement.
- Successfully defended company against class action lawsuit alleging violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act, resulting in dismissal of all claims and no financial liability for client.
- Wrote successful amicus brief to United States Supreme Court on behalf of industry trade association, which resulted in favorable ruling for clients.
- Negotiated and closed over 50 acquisitions totaling more than $2 billion within 18-month period as lead lawyer on transactions.
- Led internal investigation into alleged FCPA violations by employees in China, India and Brazil; recommended remedial actions that were implemented by management which led to no further investigations or findings of wrongdoing.
- Authored groundbreaking legal opinion regarding application of state law to internet sales which was cited by numerous courts across the country.
Juris Doctor at Indiana University Maurer School of LawAug 2011 - May 2015
Analytical and research skills, the ability to read and interpret legislation and legal precedent, oral and written advocacy skills, and the ability to apply legal theory to practical problems.
- Legal research
- Drafting legal documents
- Negotiating settlements
- Litigation skills
- Mediation skills
- Arbitration skills • Contract law