Writing a great city manager resume is important because it is one of the first things a potential employer will see when they are considering you for a position. It is your opportunity to make a good first impression and sell yourself as the best candidate for the job.
Create your resume
Select from 7 professional resume templates
If you're looking for inspiration when it comes to drafting your own city manager resume, look no further than the samples below. These resumes will help you highlight your experience and qualifications in the most effective way possible, giving you the best chance of landing the city manager job you're after.
email@example.com | (504) 684-6890 | Kansas City, KS
City Manager at The City of Atchison, KSApr 2022 - Present
- Led the city through a period of unprecedented growth, increasing the population by 25%.
- Developed and implemented a successful economic development strategy that resulted in attracting $1 billion in new investment to the city.
- Oversaw construction of new infrastructure including 100 miles of new roads and 5 major bridges.
- Negotiated long-term contracts with key city vendors that saved taxpayers millions of dollars.
- Launched innovative programs such as "Adopt-a-Street" and "Neighborhood Watch" which improved quality of life for residents.
- Successfully navigated difficult political waters, forging consensus on contentious issues among competing interests.
Assistant City Manager at The Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, KSSep 2020 - Mar 2022
- Led the city through a successful budget process, cutting $5 million from the proposed budget while still maintaining critical services.
- Negotiated new contracts with all of the city’s major unions, saving an estimated $3 million annually.
- Spear-headed the development and implementation of a new customer service initiative that increased satisfaction ratings by 15%.
- Successfully lobbied state and federal officials for grant funding totaling $4.5 million for various city projects.
- Worked with local business leaders to create 1,000 new jobs in the city over a two-year period.
Deputy City Manager at The City of Kansas City, KSJul 2015 - Aug 2020
- Led the city’s efforts to secure $15 million in state and federal grant funding for a new transit center.
- Negotiated an agreement with the local utility company that saved the city $5 million per year.
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive economic development strategy that resulted in the creation of 5,000 new jobs.
- Led the city’s response to a major natural disaster, which included coordinating more than 100 agencies and organizations.
- Successfully negotiated collective bargaining agreements with all of the city’s unions.
- Managed construction of a new convention center, which was completed on time and within budget.
Master of Public Administration at Wichita State UniversitySep 2010 - May 2015
I have learned how to effectively manage public organizations, how to budget and allocate resources, and how to develop and implement policy.
- Financial management
- Human resources
- Project management
- Public administration
- Community development • Urban planning
firstname.lastname@example.org | (849) 497-3623 | Atlanta, GA
City Manager at City of Atlanta, GAMar 2022 - Present
- Led the city through a period of economic growth, with an increase in tax revenue of 5%.
- Improved infrastructure by repairing 100 miles of roads and building 3 new bridges.
- Reduced crime rates by 10%, through increased policing and community outreach programs.
- Brought in new businesses to the city, resulting in an increase in jobs by 7%.
- Negotiated favorable contracts with unions, saving the city $1 million per year.
Assistant City Manager at City of Sandy Springs, GAAug 2021 - Mar 2022
- Led the development and implementation of a new citywide strategic plan.
- Developed and implemented a new performance management system for all city employees.
- Reduced crime by 10% in first year through innovative community policing initiatives.
- Led the redevelopment of downtown, which resulted in $1 billion in private investment.
- Increased public transit ridership by 15% through introduction of new bus routes.
Deputy City Manager at City of Roswell, GAAug 2015 - Jul 2021
- Led the city's budgeting process, developing a $1.2 billion operating budget that was unanimously approved by the City Council.
- Negotiated and executed a new collective bargaining agreement with the city's largest union, which resulted in significant cost savings for the city.
- Led a successful effort to secure state funding for a major infrastructure project.
- Developed and implemented a new customer service initiative that improved satisfaction levels by 15%.
- Oversaw the construction of a new municipal building.
Master of Public Administration at Georgia State UniversityAug 2010 - May 2015
I have learned how to effectively manage and lead public and non-profit organizations.
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Budgeting and financial management
- Planning and zoning
- Building code enforcement
- Public works maintenance