What does an Ultrasound Technician do?
Learn all about Ultrasound Technician duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Ultrasound Technician.
Published 3 min read
An ultrasound technician is a medical professional who uses special equipment to create images of the inside of the body. The images are used by doctors to diagnose and treat medical conditions.
Ultrasound Technician job duties include:
- Prepare patients for ultrasound procedures and explain the process
- Position patients on examination table and adjust equipment
- Observe monitor to ensure quality images and adjust equipment as needed
- Perform diagnostic ultrasound examinations using a variety of techniques
- Select transducers and change them as needed during the exam
- Keep detailed patient records including procedure notes and results
- Work closely with physicians to ensure quality patient care
- Maintain equipment in good working condition and perform routine maintenance
- Follow all safety protocols when operating equipment
- Stay up-to-date on new technology and developments in the field
Ultrasound Technician Job Requirements
An ultrasound technician is a medical professional who uses specialized equipment to create images of the human body. Ultrasound technicians typically need to complete an accredited training program and earn a certificate or degree. Some states also require ultrasound technicians to be licensed. In addition to formal education and training, ultrasound technicians typically need to have strong communication and customer service skills.
Ultrasound Technician Skills
- Patient care
- Image acquisition
- Image optimization
- Image analysis
- Report generation
- Patient education
- Quality assurance
- Regulatory compliance
- Continuing education
How to become an Ultrasound Technician
Becoming an ultrasound technician requires completing an accredited educational program and passing a credentialing exam. There are many accredited educational programs to choose from, so it is important to do your research to find the one that best fits your needs. Once you have completed an accredited program, you will need to pass a credentialing exam in order to become a licensed ultrasound technician. The credentialing exam will test your knowledge and skills in performing ultrasound procedures. To prepare for the credentialing exam, it is recommended that you review the material covered in your accredited educational program and take practice exams. Once you have passed the credentialing exam, you will be able to work as an ultrasound technician in a variety of healthcare settings.
Related: Ultrasound Technician Resume Example