What does an Elementary School Teacher do?
Learn all about Elementary School Teacher duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Elementary School Teacher.
Published 3 min read
An elementary school teacher is someone who teaches students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade. They typically work in a school setting, but may also work in after-school programs or in private homes. Elementary school teachers typically have a bachelor's degree in education or a related field.
Elementary School Teacher job duties include:
- Planning and delivering lessons to a class of elementary school students.
- Assigning and grading homework and classwork.
- Developing lesson plans in line with state curriculum standards.
- Getting to know each student’s strengths, weaknesses and interests.
- Motivating students to stay engaged in learning.
- Building positive relationships with students and parents.
- Maintaining discipline in the classroom.
- Attending staff meetings, parent-teacher conferences and other professional development opportunities.
- Participating in extracurricular activities like chaperoning field trips or coaching a sports team.
Elementary School Teacher Job Requirements
Elementary school teachers typically need at least a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. Some states require elementary school teachers to have a master’s degree. Elementary school teachers need to have a teaching license or certification. Many elementary school teachers have several years of experience teaching in a classroom before they become a lead teacher or principal.
Elementary School Teacher Skills
- The ability to multitask
- Strong communication skills
- A caring personality
- A love of children
- A dedication to teaching
- The ability to be flexible
- A good sense of humor
- A positive attitude
How to become an Elementary School Teacher
There are many steps to becoming an elementary school teacher. The most important step is to get a degree in education from an accredited university. Once you have your degree, you will need to get a teaching license from your state. After you have your teaching license, you can apply for jobs at elementary schools.
The best way to become an elementary school teacher is to get a degree in education from an accredited university. There are many accredited universities that offer degrees in education. Once you have your degree, you will need to get a teaching license from your state. After you have your teaching license, you can apply for jobs at elementary schools.