What does an Electronics Technician do?
Published 3 min read
An electronics technician is a professional who installs, maintains, and repairs electronic equipment. This may include computers, radios, TVs, and other types of electronic devices.
Electronics Technician job duties include:
- Read and interpret electrical and electronic schematics and blueprints
- Assemble, test, and maintain electronic equipment, instruments, and control systems
- Diagnose and troubleshoot electrical and electronic problems
- Calibrate or adjust electronic equipment and instruments
- Install, align, and adjust electronic equipment, instruments, and control systems
- Operate computer-controlled testing equipment to diagnose, test, or analyze electronic components or systems
- Fabricate or modify parts to repair or improve electronic equipment and instruments
- Perform preventive maintenance on electronic equipment and instruments
- Keep accurate records of repairs and maintenance performed
Electronics Technician Job Requirements
An electronics technician typically has an associate's degree in electronics technology, although some jobs may only require a high school diploma or equivalent. Many technicians become certified through professional organizations such as the International Society of Certified Electronics Technicians (ISCET). Some states also have certification programs for electronics technicians. In addition to formal education and training, most employers prefer to hire technicians with at least one year of experience working with electronic equipment.
Electronics Technician Skills
- Basic electronics
- AC and DC circuits
- Analog and digital circuits
- Electronic components
- Wire wrapping
- PCB assembly
- Cable assembly
- Electrical testing
How to become an Electronics Technician
An electronics technician is someone who installs, maintains, and repairs electronic equipment. They work in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, manufacturing, and healthcare. To become an electronics technician, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent. You will also need to complete an accredited electronics program. Once you have completed your training, you will need to obtain a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).