What does an Avionics Technician do?
Learn all about Avionics Technician duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Avionics Technician.
Published 3 min read
An avionics technician is a specialist who installs, tests, and repairs the electronic components of aircraft. This can include navigation, communication, and flight-control systems.
Avionics Technician job duties include:
- Read and interpret aircraft blueprints, technical manuals, and engineering drawings
- Perform complex calculations to determine wiring layouts and electrical systems operation
- Install, maintain, repair, and troubleshoot aircraft electrical systems and components, including batteries, starters, generators, voltage regulators, inverters, lights, switches, instruments, wiring harnesses, and circuit breakers
- Inspect and test aircraft electrical systems and components using multimeters, oscilloscopes, and other test equipment
- Isolate defects in aircraft electrical systems and components using schematics and other diagnostic procedures
- Repair or replace defective aircraft electrical system components
- Fabricate wiring harnesses and install them in aircraft
- Perform preventive maintenance on aircraft electrical systems
- Keep accurate records of maintenance and repair work performed
Avionics Technician Job Requirements
An Avionics Technician is responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing the electronic systems on an aircraft. This can include the navigation, communication, and flight control systems. A high school diploma or equivalent is typically required for this position, as well as completion of an FAA-approved avionics program. Some employers may also require certification from the National Center for Aerospace & Transportation Technologies. Previous experience working with aircraft electronics is also helpful.
Avionics Technician Skills
How to become an Avionics Technician
An avionics technician is someone who installs, tests, and repairs the electronic systems on an aircraft. This can include the radios, navigation system, and other flight control systems. To become an avionics technician, you will need to have a strong understanding of electronics and how they work. You will also need to be able to read and interpret technical manuals.
Most avionics technicians have at least an Associate's degree in aviation electronics or a related field. Many also have certification from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). To get started in this career, you should look for an internship or entry-level position with an aviation company. Once you have some experience, you can then apply for jobs as an avionics technician.
Related: Avionics Technician Resume Example