What does an Assistant Fashion Designer do?
Learn all about Assistant Fashion Designer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Assistant Fashion Designer.
Published 3 min read
An assistant fashion designer helps the fashion designer with whatever they need. This can include anything from getting materials to working on sketches.
Assistant Fashion Designer job duties include:
- Assisting in the design of clothing, accessories, and footwear
- Helping to select appropriate fabrics, trims, and fastenings
- Accompanying the designer to fittings and fashion shows
- Assisting with the creation of mood boards and concept sketches
- Researching current trends and predicting future trends
- Sourcing materials and samples from suppliers
- Creating technical drawings and specifications
- Monitoring production to ensure garments are made to the correct specification
- Organizing and maintaining design archives
Assistant Fashion Designer Job Requirements
An Assistant Fashion Designer typically needs a high school diploma or equivalent, although some jobs may require postsecondary education, and must be proficient in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Certification is not typically required, but may be helpful. Relevant experience is also important for this position.
Assistant Fashion Designer Skills
- Fashion design
How to become an Assistant Fashion Designer
There is no one specific path to becoming an assistant fashion designer. However, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of success. First, get a degree in fashion design from an accredited institution. This will give you the technical skills and knowledge you need to be successful in the industry. Next, gain some experience working in the fashion industry, either through internships or entry-level jobs. This will give you a better understanding of the day-to-day workings of a fashion design studio and help you develop important industry contacts. Finally, be sure to keep up with the latest trends in fashion and design; assistant designers who are able to stay ahead of the curve will be in high demand. With hard work and dedication, you can become an assistant fashion designer and help create the next great fashion collection.