What does an Assistant Art Director do?
Learn all about Assistant Art Director duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become an Assistant Art Director.
Published 3 min read
An Assistant Art Director is responsible for helping the Art Director with the visual style of a project. They may be responsible for creating storyboards, designing characters, or creating backgrounds.
Assistant Art Director job duties include:
- Assist the art director in creating visual concepts, by using computer software or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers
- Help develop the overall look of a publication, an advertising campaign, or a theater, television or film production
- Work with editors, publishers, producers, art directors, photographers, graphic designers, illustrators, stylists, and other creative professionals
- Present ideas to clients or creative team
- Manage projects from conception through completion
- Ensure that deadlines are met
- Stay within budget constraints
- Supervise support staff members
- Coordinate activities with other departments
Assistant Art Director Job Requirements
An Assistant Art Director typically has a bachelor's degree in graphic design, fine arts, or a related field. Many Assistant Art Directors also have a master's degree or certification in graphic design. Assistant Art Directors must have strong communication and organizational skills, as well as experience with graphic design software and tools.
Assistant Art Director Skills
- Time Management
- Client Management
- Creative Direction
- Visual Communication
- Art Direction
- Graphic Design
How to become an Assistant Art Director
To become an assistant art director, one must have a passion for art and creativity. They must also be able to work well under the direction of a lead art director and be able to take direction well. They should also have a strong understanding of the design process and be able to execute designs flawlessly. Additionally, assistant art directors must be able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.