What does a Senior Oracle Developer do?
Learn all about Senior Oracle Developer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Senior Oracle Developer.
Published 3 min read
A Senior Oracle Developer is responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of Oracle-based applications. They work with business analysts and other developers to create high-quality and innovative software solutions. In addition, they provide support and troubleshooting for existing applications.
Senior Oracle Developer job duties include:
- Design, implement, and maintain Oracle databases in accordance with company standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure Oracle database software and related products.
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures.
- Implement and maintain database security (e.g., create and maintain users and roles, assign privileges).
- Monitor database performance, troubleshoot problems, and implement performance tuning techniques.
- Write database stored procedures, functions, packages, and triggers in PL/SQL.
- Import/export data from various sources as needed.
- Develop custom scripts to automate various tasks as needed.
- Provide on-call support for production databases as needed.
Senior Oracle Developer Job Requirements
A Senior Oracle Developer typically needs a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, and 7-10 years of experience working with the Oracle database. They should also be certified in Oracle 10g or higher. Senior Oracle Developers are responsible for developing and managing Oracle databases, as well as providing support and training to other developers on the team. They need to have a strong understanding of database design principles, and be able to troubleshoot complex problems.
Senior Oracle Developer Skills
- Database design
- Data modeling
- Performance tuning
- Query optimization
- Data warehousing
- Business intelligence
How to become a Senior Oracle Developer
There is no one specific path to becoming a Senior Oracle Developer. However, there are a few things that will help you on the way. Firstly, it is important to have a strong understanding of Oracle databases and how they work. Secondly, it is helpful to have experience working with Oracle development tools, such as SQL Developer and PL/SQL. Finally, it is also beneficial to have experience leading or working on large Oracle projects. By having all of these skills and experiences, you will be well-positioned to become a Senior Oracle Developer.