What does a Senior Manufacturing Engineer do?
Learn all about Senior Manufacturing Engineer duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Senior Manufacturing Engineer.
Published 3 min read
A Senior Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the design, development, and implementation of manufacturing processes and equipment. They work closely with other engineers, technicians, and production staff to ensure that manufacturing operations are efficient and effective. They also develop quality control procedures and oversee the manufacturing process to ensure that products meet specifications.
Senior Manufacturing Engineer job duties include:
- Develops and implements optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards
- Oversees and coordinates the work of junior manufacturing engineers and technicians
- Develops manufacturing processes that are safe, efficient and environmentally friendly
- Conducts feasibility studies for new manufacturing processes
- Identifies and solves problems in existing manufacturing processes
- Designs and develops jigs, fixtures and tools for new products
- Specifies raw materials, production equipment and process parameters for new products
- Coordinates the introduction of new products into production
- Provides technical support to production employees
Senior Manufacturing Engineer Job Requirements
A Senior Manufacturing Engineer typically has a Bachelor's degree in engineering, although a Master's degree is sometimes preferred. They must have at least 5 years of experience in manufacturing engineering, and are often required to be certified by the American Society for Quality (ASQ).
Senior Manufacturing Engineer Skills
- Technical writing
- Presentation skills
- Project management
- Process improvement
- Quality control
- Six Sigma
- Assembly line
How to become a Senior Manufacturing Engineer
A Senior Manufacturing Engineer is a professional who designs, develops, and oversees the manufacturing process for a variety of products. They work with other engineers and production staff to ensure that products are manufactured efficiently and meet all quality standards.
To become a Senior Manufacturing Engineer, you will need to have a Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. You will also need several years of experience working in manufacturing or a related field. In addition, you will need to be familiar with various manufacturing processes and have strong problem-solving skills.