What does a Quality Assurance Tester do?
Learn all about Quality Assurance Tester duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Quality Assurance Tester.
Published 3 min read
A quality assurance tester is responsible for ensuring that a software application meets the quality standards set by the company. They create and execute test plans, track and report defects, and work with developers to resolve issues.
Quality Assurance Tester job duties include:
- Develop and execute test plans to ensure the quality of software products
- Identify, document, and track defects
- Analyze test results and recommend improvements to the software development process
- Perform regression testing when new software updates are released
- Develop testing standards and best practices
- Train other members of the team in Quality Assurance best practices
- Monitor compliance with Quality Assurance policies and procedures
- Investigate customer reports of software defects
- Liaise with developers to resolve defects
Quality Assurance Tester Job Requirements
There are no formal education requirements for quality assurance testers, but many employers prefer candidates with at least a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field. Certification is not required, but can be helpful in landing a job and advancing in a career. Many quality assurance testers have several years of experience in the field before landing a job as a tester.
Quality Assurance Tester Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Stress Management
- Time Management
- Technical Skills
How to become a Quality Assurance Tester
A Quality Assurance Tester is responsible for ensuring the quality of software products. They work closely with software developers and other testers to identify and resolve defects. A Quality Assurance Tester must have strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
To become a Quality Assurance Tester, you will need to have at least a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field. You will also need to have experience working with software development and testing tools. Additionally, it is helpful to be familiar with various software development methodologies.