What does a Phone Technician do?
Learn all about Phone Technician duties, skills and much more. Get expert advice on how to become a Phone Technician.
Published 3 min read
A phone technician is responsible for installing, repairing, and maintaining telephone and other telecommunications equipment. They may also be responsible for providing customer service and training users on how to use the equipment.
Phone Technician job duties include:
- Installing, configuring, and maintaining telephone equipment
- Testing telephone lines and equipment to ensure proper functioning
- Repairing or replacing defective telephone equipment
- Adjusting volume and clarity controls on telephone equipment
- Installing new telephone lines and jacks
- Splicing and soldering wires to repair damaged telephone lines
- Locating and repairing faults in underground or buried telephone cables
- Coordinating work with other technicians to avoid service disruptions
- Maintaining records of repairs and maintenance performed
Phone Technician Job Requirements
Most phone technicians have a high school diploma or equivalent, although some jobs may require postsecondary education, and most employers provide on-the-job training. Some states require phone technicians to be licensed. Although not required, certification from the Electronics Technicians Association International can demonstrate competence and might be required by some employers. Phone technicians typically have 1 or 2 years of experience in the field.
Phone Technician Skills
- Customer service
How to become a Phone Technician
A phone technician is responsible for diagnosing and repairing issues with cellular phones. They must have a strong understanding of how phones work in order to identify problems and find solutions. In many cases, phone technicians are able to resolve issues remotely, but they may also need to visit customers' homes or businesses.
To become a phone technician, you will need to complete a training program at a vocational school or community college. Many employers also require technicians to have experience working with phones and other electronic devices. Once you have the necessary skills and experience, you can start applying for jobs at cell phone repair shops, telecommunications companies, and other businesses that rely on mobile technology.
Related: Phone Technician Resume Example